Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Famous one on circuits - but more mathematical!

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    Everyone probably know the famous problem consisting of a circuit having 12 resistors in the shape of a cube such that the resistors make up the edges. We pass current from one vertex and are required to find the effective resistance between this vertex and another one (the difficulty of the problem depends upon which vertexes are considered!!)

In Physics, we usually solve this problem by assuming some symmetry considerations like equal partition of current or equal voltages etc. While studying Graph Theory in Alan Tucker's book, I cam across a similar example where he asked whether 2 graphs, one like the cubical circuit above and another circular graph were isomorphic. While his question ended in a negative there, I thought, could it be possible to solve the problem without any assumptions by finding a suitable, simple isomorphic graph that can be easily solved! Before getting down to some brainstorming, I just want to know, has anyone of you (or somebody you know) considered this problem before. Are you aware of a solution to the above problem??? Please post what you think and your possible solutions!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    Symmetrical cubes are very easy to solve. The generalized n-dimensional cube is fun problem - I solved it back way back in my 1st year. It has some interesting properties... I believe the resistance between opposite vertices converged to a finite value as n-->infinity.

5. Dec 15, 2005 #4
    Hey guys, I'm sorry I dont have aceess to the article on mathscinet since I am high schooler in India. Please , can you send me the article by PM or mail!!

6. Dec 15, 2005 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds like an interesting question. Can you state that question fully?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?