Faraday's Dynamo & kinetic energy

In summary: But I just realised that I forgot to half the B^2In summary, a Faraday Dynamo is used as a brake with a circular disk of mass m and initial angular velocity \omega_0 connected to an external resistance R_\Omega. The time it takes for the kinetic energy of the disk to halve can be found by integrating dK/dt = -(B^2 R^2/4R_\Omega)K, where K is the kinetic energy and B is the magnetic field, to get t = (2mR_\Omega ln(2))/B^2 R^2.
6c 6f 76 65

Homework Statement

hmpbasic.gif

(The picture is not from my textbook)

A Faraday Dynamo is used as a brake. The brushes are connected with an external resistance [itex]R_\Omega[/itex]. The circular disk has mass m, and angular velocity [itex]\omega_0[/itex] when t = 0.

a) How long does it take until the kinetic energy of the disk is halved?

Homework Equations

[itex]emf =\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2}[/itex]
[itex]dW=P dt[/itex]
[itex]P=\frac{(emf)^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to figure this problem out.
I've tried integrating dW from [itex]\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2_0 R^2[/itex] to [itex]\frac{1}{4}m \omega^2_0 R^2[/itex] setting that equal to the integral from t=0 to t of P dt (where I substitute P for the emf)

Looking at the answer, [itex]t=\frac{m R_\Omega ln(2)}{B^2 R^2}[/itex], I figured I need to integrate over [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex], in order to get the ln(2), but I've got no clue how to find that x. Any help much appriciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using energy ideas, how is the rate of decrease of the KE of the disk related to the electrical power produced?

TSny said:
Using energy ideas, how is the rate of decrease of the KE of the disk related to the electrical power produced?

Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean. The KE and the electrical power produced is linked via the angular velocity with the formula: [itex]W=\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}t=\Delta KE[/itex]

6c 6f 76 65 said:
Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean. The KE and the electrical power produced is linked via the angular velocity with the formula: [itex]W=\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}t=\Delta KE[/itex]

Note that ##\omega## decreases with time. So, the electrical power is not going to be constant. That means the link between electrical power P and KE must be written in terms of an instantaneous rate of change of KE (with care given to signs).

[itex]\frac{dKE}{dt}=-\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]

Last edited:
6c 6f 76 65 said:
[itex]\frac{dKE}{dt}=-\frac{(\frac{B R^2 \omega}{2})^2}{R_\Omega}[/itex]

Good. What if you express ##\omega^2## on the right side in terms of KE and moment of inertia ##\small I##? If you let K stand for KE, can you express the equation as follows? $$\frac{dK}{dt} = -b K$$
Here ##b## is a collection of constants.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much! Here's what I got:

[itex]\frac{dK}{dt}=-\frac{B^2 R^4 \omega^2}{4 R_\Omega}=-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}K[/itex], used that [itex]K=\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 R^2[/itex]
Solution for diff. equation: [itex]K=K_0 e^{-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{2}=\frac{K}{K_0}=e^{-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t}[/itex]
[itex]ln(\frac{1}{2})=-ln(2)=-\frac{B^2 R^2}{2 m R_\Omega}t[/itex]
[itex]t=\frac{2 m R_\Omega ln(2)}{B^2 R^2}[/itex]

But it's not quite right, there's a 2 here

6c 6f 76 65 said:
used that [itex]K=\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 R^2[/itex]

Check this. ##K = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##. What is ##I## for a solid disk?

[itex]I=\frac{1}{2}m R^2[/itex], thank you so much!

1. What is Faraday's Dynamo?

Faraday's Dynamo is a device created by Michael Faraday in the 19th century that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is a precursor to modern-day generators and is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction.

2. How does Faraday's Dynamo work?

Faraday's Dynamo works by using a rotating magnet inside a collection of copper wires. As the magnet rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an electric current in the wires, thus producing electricity.

3. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the context of Faraday's Dynamo, kinetic energy is the energy of the rotating magnet that is converted into electrical energy.

4. Is kinetic energy the only source of energy for Faraday's Dynamo?

No, Faraday's Dynamo can also use other forms of mechanical energy, such as wind or water, to rotate the magnet and generate electricity. However, the most common source of energy is kinetic energy.

5. What are the practical applications of Faraday's Dynamo?

Faraday's Dynamo has been used in many practical applications, including power generation for homes and industries, as well as in electric motors. It has also played a crucial role in the development of modern technology, such as electric cars and renewable energy sources.