1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favorite read-with-tea Physics Books

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    I'm sure many of us have books like these. Maybe they are text books, maybe pop-sci books, but often something in between. And whatever they are, they're so good that we don't just read them for reference.

This evening I once again pulled Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps" off the shelf and reread the first couple chapters. I just find it a delightful read, and it always takes me back to when I was a high school student just starting to learn about physics.

I realized I have a handful of books like this, but I bet there are many gems out there I haven't come across. So I thought I'd list my favorites, and see what others have dogeared over the years, too!

Mine:

-Black Holes and Time Warps
    -Flatland (I'd heard it summarized so many times, I almost didn't read the book... but I'm glad I did!)
    -Mr. Tompkins
    -Physics for Entertainment, by Yakov Perelman (I've never seen a better and more wonderfully Russian collection of puzzles and musings)

How about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" -Feynman
    "Demon Haunted World" -Sagan
    "Six easy pieces" -Feynman (this one has math though, but it's still casual)

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    +1 for 'Surely You're Joking..'. I hadn't read through a book that quick since middle school.

The Trouble with Physics - Lee Smolin
    The Fabric of the Cosmos - Brian Greene
    Physics of the Impossible - Michio Kaku

I find first-year physics texts interesting enough to read for fun though

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Goodness, how could I have left Feynman out of my list!

+1 to him as well from me

And I've really enjoyed Cosmos (the TV series) but never read any of Sagan's books. I'll have to check that one out - read of course in the Sagan voice in my head.

6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    Not a "read with tea", but quite easy going, are the Feynman Lectures on Physics

7. Mar 28, 2012 #6
    Strong black coffee needed...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook