Physics Books - A List of Small Gems

In summary, the OP wants short, well regarded books on physics that can be read in a short amount of time and that have all the essentials. He recommends books by Dirac and Pauli.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

I am looking for physics books of a particular type: concise, and very well regarded. Two examples I found are "Mechanics", by Laundau & Lifshitz; and "Elementary Statistical Physics" by Kittel. Both are around 200 pages and they cover a lot of material.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to learn physics from large books. So I am looking for short physics books, like these two, that can be read in a relatively short amount of time and that contain all the essentials. I intend to use them as a complement to on line video lectures I want to watch.

So what books would you recommend in this category, especially for more advanced physics subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the reason that you need to learn physics in a short time? What is your goal?

For now the purpose is recreational, but I might want to do a PhD in theoretical physics a few years from now. I have a bachelors and a masters in mathematics, so the mathematical barrier is mostly removed. I've always liked physics and I think I can learn enough on my own to have a decent understanding. If I decide to improve my understanding to be able to get into a PhD program, then I will do it. But for now, I would like to aim lower and read shorter, well regarded books. For example, instead of reading Goldstein, I'll read Landau.

Last edited:
Whatever books you use should have problems. For without solving problems you cannot be sure of your understanding.

Well, from the OP, I think it's safe to say that Dirac is your man. Particularly his book on General Relativity is of astonishing brevity and nevertheless of astonishing completeness. Also his famous quantum theory textbook is very efficient. Another example is the 6-volume set of theoretical-physics lectures by Pauli.

Likes Demystifier and FourEyedRaven

1. What are physics books about?

Physics books are about the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It is a branch of science that seeks to understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how they govern the behavior of everything from subatomic particles to galaxies.

2. Why should I read physics books?

Reading physics books can help you gain a deeper understanding of the world around you. It can also improve critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, many scientific and technological advancements are built upon the principles of physics, so reading about it can help you stay updated and informed.

3. Are physics books difficult to understand?

Some physics books may be more challenging than others, but most are written in a way that is accessible to readers with a basic understanding of math and science. Some may require more effort and concentration, but the rewards of understanding complex concepts are worth it.

4. What are some popular physics books?

Some popular physics books include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Theory of Everything" by Michio Kaku. There are also many classic texts, such as "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman and "The Principia" by Isaac Newton.

5. Can I learn physics just by reading books?

While reading physics books can give you a strong foundation and understanding of the subject, it is important to supplement your learning with hands-on experiments and practical applications. It is also helpful to engage in discussions and ask questions to fully grasp the concepts and principles being taught in the books.