What to read after Spivak? And Physics books

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations on what to read after finishing Spivak's Calculus. They are looking for something as rigorous as Spivak. They have worked through an old edition of Calculus by Thomas and have bought a mechanics book and a physics book, but are unsure of which one to start with. They are also considering learning linear algebra before starting multivariable and vector calculus, and are seeking recommendations for books to use. They are currently working through Spivak and are open to suggestions for other books.
IgnacioMagana
Hello I am about to finished working though Spivak's Calculus. I am wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations on what to read after I'm done with the book. I am looking for something as rigorous as Spivak.

Also a bit unrelated but I have also worked through an old edition of Calculus by Thomas (before spivak). So I recently bought kleppner and Kolenkow's Mechanics book but I also own a second edition of Halliday and Resnicks Physics for scientists and engineers. I have never formally taken a physics class before and I am wondering which book I should start with. Thank you for taking your time reading my post.

Physics news on Phys.org
For math: do you know linear algebra yet?
For physics: I would just start out with Kleppner/Kolenkow. If it's too hard, you can always switch books and come back to it later.

For mathematics, you could now read linear algebra or multivariable calculus. I recommend linear algebra first, since multivariable calculus will go easier with some knowledge of linear algebra.

If you want rigorous books, then I can highly recommend "Linear algebra" by Serge Lang.
For a multivariable calculus book, here are some suggestions, ranked from non-rigorous to extremely rigorous:

"Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard
"Analysis on manifolds" by Munkres
"Calculus on manifolds" by Spivak
"Multidimensional Real Analysis" by Duistermaat and Kolk

Ok I think that's what I'm going to do with Kleppner.

I don't know Linear Algebra, yet. Do you think it will be a good choice to learn Linear Algebra before I begin my study of Multivariable and Vector Calculus at a rigorous level? If so what books would you recommend me to look at? Thanks.

IgnacioMagana said:
Ok I think that's what I'm going to do with Kleppner.

I don't know Linear Algebra, yet. Do you think it will be a good choice to learn Linear Algebra before I begin my study of Multivariable and Vector Calculus at a rigorous level? If so what books would you recommend me to look at? Thanks.

I'm working on Linear Algebra and have thoroughly researched all the books available.
You should do Lin Alg before Multi Calc.

My Primary Text is: Linear Algebra; A modern introduction. 2nd ed - David Poole (Great section on Markov Chains; pretty rigorous; good depth overall)
Supplementing with: Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra - Carl D. Meyer (Great problems and depth) and Linear Algebra - Jim Hefferon. (Great optional chapters)

I plan on gauging more depth later using Axler's and Ray, Kunze's texts on the same topic.

Good Luck!

SolsticeFire

PS: I'm working through Spivak right now. Any suggestions?! :)

I also recommend you do linear algebra next. Lang's book is good, as is Hoffman/Kunze. Or you could take a non-traditional route and just learn linear and abstract algebra together out of Artin's Algebra.

What are the best books to read after Spivak's "Calculus"?

Some commonly recommended books to read after Spivak's "Calculus" include "A Course in Linear Algebra" by David B. Damiano and John B. Little, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh, "Advanced Calculus" by David V. Widder, and "Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus" by Kenneth Ross. These books build upon the concepts covered in Spivak's "Calculus" and provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

What are some good books to read after completing a basic physics course?

Some popular books to read after completing a basic physics course are "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert Callen. These books cover more advanced topics in physics and provide a solid foundation for further studies in the field.

What are the best books for self-studying mathematics and physics?

For self-studying mathematics, some highly recommended books are "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman, "Algebra" by Michael Artin, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Topology" by James Munkres, and "Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, and Linear Algebra" by Morris W. Hirsch. For self-studying physics, some popular books are "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, "The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind, "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection" by Clifford A. Pickover, and "The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" by Roger Penrose.

What are some good resources for finding advanced mathematics and physics books?

Some good resources for finding advanced mathematics and physics books include online forums and communities such as Reddit's r/math and r/physics, the MathOverflow and Physics Stack Exchange websites, and the Goodreads website. These platforms allow users to recommend and discuss books on various topics in mathematics and physics, making it easier to find books that suit one's interests and level of understanding.

What are some tips for effectively studying advanced mathematics and physics?

Some useful tips for effectively studying advanced mathematics and physics include setting aside dedicated study time, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, actively taking notes and practicing problems, seeking help from professors or online communities when needed, and staying motivated and persistent. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.