History of Physics: Books for Background Reading

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alchemist_007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    History Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Alchemist_007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,
I am pursuing my undergraduate studies in Physics.I found the overall syllabus very messy and disordered,so I connect all the dots ,I am searching for books for background reading related to Physics.Are there any books available on 'History of Physics' ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have the following two books regarding this topic. So I mention them here:

1

"The Evolution of Physics" by Albert Einstein and Leopold Infeld

This is a non-mathematical book for general readers. It gives an overall sketch from classical to quantum physics (including relativity).

Very readable. Worth taking a look.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0671201565/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can read (and download) the book online too.
https://archive.org/details/evolutionofphysi033254mbp

2

Another wonderful book is "An Introduction to the Meaning and Structure of Physics" by noble laureate Leon N Cooper

This is a conceptual overview of physics with historical approach.

A brilliant book.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BU90O/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (1968 edition)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0874515920/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (new 1992 edition)
 
Last edited by a moderator: