FEA issue with workbench plus question on equation with conical shells

In summary, the conversation discusses designing conical shells for a launch vehicle adapter and the issue of finding the semi vertex angle in a truncated cone. The speaker also mentions their struggle with using Workbench and obtaining the buckling point in their model. They receive advice to stick with the non-linear model for buckling and the semi vertex angle is explained as the angle between the centerline and wall of the cone.
R.enR
Hi everybody,

I am designing conical shells in the aim to better understand the launch vehicle adapter and what changing thickness of conical shells will do to buckling load and natural frequency.

I have an issue with certain equations I have characteristic equations with a critical axial compression for truncated conical shells and buckling moment for a truncated cone along with several other equations. I have all the values except the "semi vertex angle of cone" what exactly is that as in where is that located in a truncated cone?

My main concern right now is with workbench and it is a new program that I am reall struggling to come to terms with. I have a symmetric model with a simple thin shelled design and it is merely me adding a load till the critical buckling load is identified. There bottom is fixed so there is no freedom of movement, I know this is very simple to model but for the life of me I can't seem to be able to go from static structural analysis to linear buckling analysis for the same model. I have duplicated the model and altered the analysis type it doesn't work I have attempted to start fresh with a linear buckling analysis but I cannot seem to find the buckling point of this model. It has "command" and initial environment as the different things I can input below the mesh section. If anyone has an idea of how to model could they tell me step by step because I must be an alien or mentally slow with this program right now but it is the bane of my existence currently :confused:
Any help would be really appreciated

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you already have a static non-linear model that shows the buckling, you wouldn't gain anything except speed by stepping back to the simpler linear buckling.

For static, you can get it to increase the load automatically, but I can't quite remember how :P Never done linear buckling in ANSYS tho sorry.

Yea don't worry that it's hard, people pay thousands for training courses on that, and still just skim the surface :P Just be grateful that you have Workbench, not Classic.

semi vertex angle would be the angle between the centerline and wall. i.e. half the angle at the (truncated away) vertex of the cone.

1. What is FEA and how is it used in engineering?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis and it is a computational method used to analyze the structural integrity and behavior of a design under various conditions. It is commonly used in engineering to simulate and predict how a design will perform before it is actually built, saving time and resources.

2. What are some common issues that can arise when using FEA in workbench?

Some common issues that can arise when using FEA in workbench include incorrect inputs, model geometry errors, and convergence problems. It is important to carefully review and validate all inputs and make sure the model is properly set up before running the analysis.

3. How can I troubleshoot an FEA issue in workbench?

To troubleshoot an FEA issue in workbench, start by checking for any errors or warnings in the log file. Then, review the model setup and make sure all inputs are correct. If the issue persists, try simplifying the model or adjusting the analysis settings. You can also consult with other FEA experts or reach out to the software support team for assistance.

4. Can FEA be used to analyze conical shells?

Yes, FEA can be used to analyze conical shells. However, it is important to properly model the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions to accurately simulate the behavior of the conical shell. It is also recommended to validate the FEA results with physical testing.

5. What equations are commonly used in FEA for conical shells?

The most commonly used equations in FEA for conical shells include the thin shell equations, the von Mises stress equation, and the strain-displacement equations. These equations are used to calculate the stress and strain distribution in the conical shell and are essential for accurately predicting its behavior under different loading conditions.