FEA: Stiffness Matrix for Beam Element

In summary, the two methods of matrix formulation have different sign conventions for positive displacement and rotation. The first matrix uses sagging BM as negative, while the 2nd matrix uses sagging BM as positive. Regardless of which system you use, you need to be consistent in order to avoid confusion later.
phiby
I have gone through Beam Element analysis in several books on FEA. 80% of books have a particular Stiffness matrix, while a very small number of books have a matrix which is subtly different in sign.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66943862@N06/7195680680/in/photostream/lightbox

Most books have the 2nd matrix in the photo above.
A couple of books have 1st one.

Likewise the loading matrix is also slightly different.

Corresponding to the first one, the loading matrix is F*L/12 [ 6 -L 6 L]T
While the majority have F*L/12 [ 6 L 6 -L]TWhich method is correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The two matrices are using different sign conventions for positive displacements and rotations. if they both take the same direction (up or down) for positive displacements, one will be taking clockwise rotations as positive and the other antoclockwise as positive.

I can't remember which is which, but the books should say what convention they are using.

It doesn't matter which system you use so long as you are consistent.

AlephZero said:
The two matrices are using different sign conventions for positive displacements and rotations. if they both take the same direction (up or down) for positive displacements, one will be taking clockwise rotations as positive and the other antoclockwise as positive.

I can't remember which is which, but the books should say what convention they are using.

It doesn't matter which system you use so long as you are consistent.

It looks like it's the sign of the BM (not the others). The first matrix uses sagging BM as negative, the 2nd one uses sagging BM as positive.
That's what I think.

Unfortunately when I looked through all these books in the library, I didn't think about checking the BM sign convention and I am not going to go to the library for week now. If anyone has a copy of any book which uses the 1st matrix, can they please confirm if the book uses sagging BM negative conventions? That would be helpful.

Last edited:
There are plenty of references on the web, e.g.
http://comp.uark.edu/~jjrencis/femur/Learning-Modules/Stress-Analysis/One-Dimensional-Elements/Beam-Element/Element_Formulation.html has lots of diagrams.

Last edited by a moderator:
phiby said:
Which method is correct?

Both, although the convention when teaching beam deflection problems is that 'downward' deflection is taken as positive. (I think this convention comes from Naval engineering can't remember now though)

Its just a matter of how the reference coordinate system is defined.

Dr Bwts said:
Both, although the convention when teaching beam deflection problems is that 'downward' deflection is taken as positive. (I think this convention comes from Naval engineering can't remember now though)

Its just a matter of how the reference coordinate system is defined.

It doesn't matter whether you choose "up" or "down" as a positive deflection. What matters is now the positive slopes (or moments) are related to positive deflections.

IMO there doesn't seem much sense in teaching this using a "left handed" coordinate system - but if that's the traditional way it is done, I guess students can expect to be confused later, since every general purpose computer analysis program I know of uses right handed coordiate systems.

AlephZero said:
It doesn't matter whether you choose "up" or "down" as a positive deflection. What matters is now the positive slopes (or moments) are related to positive deflections.

Agreed

IMO there doesn't seem much sense in teaching this using a "left handed" coordinate system - but if that's the traditional way it is done, I guess students can expect to be confused later, since every general purpose computer analysis program I know of uses right handed coordiate systems.

Well yes and no really. It does help in a broader sense by introducing students to the idea that you can choose a coordinate system to suit your problem. Its suprising how many students don't realize this.

What is FEA and how is it used in engineering?

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a numerical method used to solve complex engineering problems. It involves breaking down a larger structure into smaller, more manageable elements and analyzing the behavior of each element. The results are then combined to understand the overall behavior of the structure.

What is a stiffness matrix and why is it important for beam elements?

A stiffness matrix is a square matrix that represents the relationship between the forces and displacements in a structure. It is important for beam elements because it defines the stiffness of the element and is used to calculate the overall stiffness of the structure. It also helps determine the deformation and stresses in the beam.

How is the stiffness matrix calculated for a beam element?

The stiffness matrix for a beam element is calculated by using the beam's geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions. It involves integrating the beam's governing equations and applying boundary conditions to obtain the coefficients of the stiffness matrix. The values in the matrix represent the stiffness of the element in different directions.

What are the limitations of using a stiffness matrix for beam elements?

The stiffness matrix assumes the beam to be linearly elastic and homogeneous, which may not always be the case in real-world structures. It also does not account for geometric nonlinearity, material nonlinearity, and large deformations. Additionally, the stiffness matrix becomes more complex when dealing with more complex beam shapes and boundary conditions.

How can the stiffness matrix for beam elements be improved?

The stiffness matrix can be improved by incorporating more realistic assumptions, such as accounting for geometric and material nonlinearity. This can be achieved by using more advanced FEA techniques, such as nonlinear FEA, which can handle more complex beam elements and loading conditions. Additionally, using a finer mesh and more accurate material properties can also improve the accuracy of the stiffness matrix.