• Thread starter A.T.
  • Start date
In summary, there have been some issues with posting corrections and additions separately, leading to clutter. The old settings are not known, but they were likely longer (hours?). The issue with previewing posts has been fixed and can be closed by clicking the "X" at the top right corner, pressing the "ESC" key, or simply clicking anywhere off the popup.
A.T.
Science Advisor
It will lead to posting corrections, additions in separate posts, leading to more clutter. I don't know what the old setting was, but surely longer (hours?).

Physics news on Phys.org
This is something I'll fix shortly. There are still some default settings floating around.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is something I'll fix shortly. There are still some default settings floating around.

I have a more fundamental question - how do I go from the preview of a post back to editing? The preview comes up, I click on the screen and what I have written in gone. How do I get back to the post I was composing?

Stephen Tashi said:
I have a more fundamental question - how do I go from the preview of a post back to editing? The preview comes up, I click on the screen and what I have written in gone. How do I get back to the post I was composing?

Either click the "X" at the top right corner or just press the "ESC" key, on your keyboard.

Stephen Tashi said:

Stephen - I've previewed several messages as I entered today and all worked well. I used Opera and Browser on my droid tablet, and have been using Internet Explorer 11 on my desktop for a while. What device and browser are you using? (I just used Preview on this msg...)

DataGG said:
Either click the "X" at the top right corner or just press the "ESC" key, on your keyboard.
Or click anywhere off the popup and it will close

1. What is the purpose of having a timeout for editing posts?

The timeout for editing posts serves as a way to ensure the accuracy and relevance of the content being posted. It allows for a certain window of time for the poster to make any necessary changes or corrections before the post becomes permanent.

2. Why is the timeout set to 3 minutes?

The length of the timeout for editing posts is typically determined by the platform or website hosting the post. Three minutes is a common timeframe as it strikes a balance between allowing for quick edits and preventing the post from being edited indefinitely.

3. Can the timeout be extended?

In some cases, the timeout for editing posts can be extended by contacting the platform or website hosting the post. However, this is not always possible and may depend on the specific policies and guidelines of the platform.

4. What happens if I don't make edits within the timeout period?

If no edits are made within the timeout period, the post will become permanent and cannot be edited. It is important to carefully review and make any necessary changes within the given timeframe.

5. Is there a way to disable the timeout for editing posts?

The timeout for editing posts is typically a default setting and cannot be disabled. This is to ensure the accuracy and relevance of the content being posted. However, if a longer editing period is needed, it is best to draft the post in a separate document before posting it to avoid any time constraints.