Felix Baumgartner and 120,000ft

• Thread starter uperkurk
  • Start date
In summary: There's probably a better quality video somewhere but I couldn't find it.when it cuts to the mission control people moments later you can see one of the dudes making a spinny motion with his hands
In response to the OP, the balloon topped out at just under 128,000 ft, because this was the float altitude of the balloon, meaning the altitude at which the pressure of helium inside is equal to the ambient pressure outside. At this point, any excess helium vents out the bottom, and there is no more lift. Also, these are stratospheric balloons, they don't go up into the thermosphere, whoever said that.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the big deal about him spinning?

leroyjenkens said:
He should have went higher and tried to break the speed of light.

Then he could land before he takes off and know that everything will turn out OK.

Last edited:
DeepSpace9 said:
It could cause him to black out or get tangled in his chute.

DeepSpace9 said:
The spinning speed could reach 3.6 revolutions per second, 2.3 revolutions per second can already be harmful or fatal to a human being. It appeared that they switched to the ground station in order to protect the viewers from that sight of spinning, the fact that they've taking out the spinning in the videos posted here suggests it was really worrisome?

I watched the stream live and there were quite a few moments when Baumgartner was unresponsive when preparing to uncouple himself from the capsule. I imaged it would be because of stress levels, the person on the ground appeared to soothe him by saying comforting words, did he comment on what went through his mind at that time or was it just because the communications were not getting through?

Last edited:
Monique said:
The spinning speed could reach 3.6 revolutions per second, 2.3 revolutions per second can already be harmful or fatal to a human being. It appeared that they switched to the ground station in order to protect the viewers from that sight of spinning, the fact that they've taking out the spinning in the videos posted here suggests it was really worrisome?

I watched the stream live and there were quite a few moments when Baumgartner was unresponsive when preparing to uncouple himself from the capsule. I imaged it would be because of stress levels, the person on the ground appeared to soothe him by saying comforting words, did he comment on what went through his mind at that time or was it just because the communications were not getting through?

when I was watching the live stream I saw him hesitate, and tbh it looked like just one of those moments where you go "oh god wait a second" but then he pulled through it

The moment when he was spinning was very scary. Here is an interview of him:

http://kurier.at/video/nachrichten/1900974173001-felix-baumgartner-ich-hatte-traenen-in-den-augen.php
In German

Baumgartner: "It really started to get violent. For a few seconds I thought I would lose my conciousness."

What would be the effects if he pulled his chute too early, or during the spin?

DeepSpace9 said:
What would be the effects if he pulled his chute too early, or during the spin?
Deploying the chute while spinning risks becoming entangled in the chute in which case, the chute might fail and one could continue to fall. If one cannot become unentangled, one might fall to the ground.

uperkurk said:
So why not just go as high as possible and then jump? Why stop at 120,000 ft?

I think it was a matter of Oxygen. Once he disengaged from the pod's life support system, he had about 10 minutes worth of Oxygen. Yeah, he probably could have gone a little higher (assuming there were no other reasons for stopping at 120K which would probably be a terrible assumption), but they were just playing it safe I'm sure. Also, wasn't it closer to 130K feet? I thought I read where it was 128K.