Felix is the oldest cartoon cat

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the oldest cartoon character known is the cartoon cat, dating back to 1919. The character that came next is unclear, but it is believed that Krazy Kat, appearing in a comic strip as early as 1910, may have preceded Felix, who is often considered the first "real" cartoon character. However, the first cartoon strip ever printed is The Yellow Kid, which appeared in 1896. Other early cartoon characters include Little Nemo, Gertie the Dinosaur, Colonel Heeza Liar, Bobby Bumps, Mutt and Jeff, Kapten Grogg, Thomas Cat, and Dream of the Rarebit Fiend. Lilo and Stitch, a story about an outer space animal,
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The cartoon cat is the oldest i know ,dating from 1919 i think, what cartoon
character came next ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny the rabbit

I don't know who came next, but I think Krazy Kat came eariler, appearing in a comic strip started in 1910 and branching out on its own in 1913.

When you say cartoon character, are you talking about animation, or do you include comics, etc?

honestrosewater said:
I don't know who came next, but I think Krazy Kat came eariler, appearing in a comic strip started in 1910 and branching out on its own in 1913.

Thats one i do not know, did it last long.

matthyaouw said:
When you say cartoon character, are you talking about animation, or do you include comics, etc?

Either, i thought Felix to be the oldest cartoon, but it seems i am wrong.

Wolfram, but i still guess for most of the young people, no one thinks they are works of pictures only. When we talk of cartoons, we all talk about animation/motion pictures of funny characters.

So i wasn't wrong, Felix was the first real cartoon ?

honestrosewater said:
I don't know that old pictured book. sounds good.

Optep said:
I don't know that old pictured book. sounds good.

Ok, krazy Kat is the first then Felix, and the next one was ?

"The first cartoon strip ever printed is The Yellow Kid, which first appeared in The New York Journal on October 18, 1896."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=47969

Was the Yellow Kid a cat, or just a kid who was yellow?

Hmm, Yellow kid , krazy Kat , Felix, and the next one was ?

Thanks Evo.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Was the Yellow Kid a cat, or just a kid who was yellow?

A kid who wore a yellow shirt.

Apparently "Humorous phases of funny faces" is the first animated film. Little Nemo was a cartoon strip character that made his animated film debut in 1911, way before Felix.

wolram said:
A kid who wore a yellow shirt.
Ha! What a great idea for a cartoon character! I didn't really want to know, I was just wondering about the proclivity early animators seemed to have for cats. Or kats.

Apparently "Humorous phases of funny faces" is the first animated film. Little Nemo was a cartoon strip character that made his animated film debut in 1911, way before Felix.

:cry: :cry: Uncle, Uncle who came after Felix ??

Gertie the Dinosaur may have followed Felix as a titular/recurring/famous cartoon character. I take it we're not including non-famous, one-off characters in obscure animations.

Here we go:
Little Nemo
Gertie the Dinosaur
Colonel Heeza Liar
Bobby Bumps
Mutt and Jeff
Kapten Grogg
Krazy Kat
Thomas Cat (possibly later of Tom & Jerry fame?)
Felix
http://animation.filmtv.ucla.edu/program/anihist.html
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend seems to follow, but I don't know whether that's a character or not. Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
But when would Lilo and Stitch come in ?

Gertie the Dinosaur may have followed Felix as a titular/recurring/famous cartoon character. I take it we're not including non-famous, one-off characters in obscure animations.

No, no one off's, A dinosaur called Gertie :eek:

I truly like that movie anyway

Emieno said:
But when would Lilo and Stitch come in ?

Not another one, who or what were Lilo and Stitch ?

It is a movie for kids.

wolram said:
Not another one, who or what were Lilo and Stitch ?
It is a story about an outer space animal, very idiotic at first but then well-behaved because it is educated by human.

1. Who created Felix the Cat?

Felix the Cat was created by American cartoonist and animator Otto Messmer in 1919.

2. How old is Felix the Cat?

Felix the Cat is considered to be the oldest cartoon cat, as he first appeared in 1919, making him over 100 years old.

3. What is the origin of the name "Felix"?

The name "Felix" was chosen by creator Otto Messmer and is derived from the Latin word for "happy" or "lucky".

4. Is Felix the Cat still popular today?

Although Felix the Cat's popularity peaked in the 1920s and 1930s, he is still recognized and beloved by many and has been featured in various forms of media throughout the years.

5. What is the significance of Felix the Cat in the world of animation?

Felix the Cat is considered a pioneer in the world of animation, as he was one of the first cartoon characters to achieve widespread popularity and success. He also paved the way for other iconic cartoon characters, such as Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.