What is the oldest of each class of star?

• B
  • Thread starter plin092
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Star
In summary, the conversation is about the timeline of the generations of stars and when different classes of stars first started to form. It is mentioned that our sun is an early Population I star and that different classes of stars started to form at different times. However, this is incorrect as stellar class is unrelated to time of formation. The first stars were population III stars and all different stellar classes were present. The conversation also mentions the lifetime of stars on the main sequence, which is dependent on their class, but not on the time of formation.
plin092
TL;DR Summary
When did each stellar class of star start to form.
Hello! I would appreciate it if anyone could help me figure this out. I’ve been struggling to find info on my own but so far nothing’s turned up. I am a little confused on the timeline of the generations of stars. I know that our sun is considered an early Population I star.

However, I could have sworn I also remember that the different classes of stars started to first form at different times. So Class B stars first started to form __ billion of years ago, with Class A _ billion years after that, and Class O _ billion years after that. And that our sun, having formed 4.6 billions years ago, is one of the oldest G class stars.

(This doesn’t mean that there were absolutely no instances of lower class stars before these times. But they were extremely rare and only started to be commonly at these dates.)

But, when searching now, I cannot find any of these times online. Which has me thinking I may be mistaken. Is this idea correct, or have all classes formed the same as they do now after the first generation of stars? And if it is correct, when did each class of star start to form?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
plin092 said:
However, I could have sworn I also remember that the different classes of stars started to first form at different times. So Class B stars first started to form __ billion of years ago, with Class A _ billion years after that, and Class O _ billion years after that. And that our sun, having formed 4.6 billions years ago, is one of the oldest G class stars.
No, stellar class is unrelated to time of formation. The first stars were population III stars, with very low metallicity and likely a higher average mass than current stars. But they still fell into virtually all the different stellar classes.

Note that stellar classification, specifically the Harvard spectral classification, is based on temperature and photospheric composition, so a population III star with a surface temperature of 20,000 K and a population I star with a surface temperature of 20,000 K are both class B as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Likes plin092
plin092 said:
I could have sworn I also remember that the different classes of stars started to first form at different times.
You might be thinking of the lifetime of a star on the main sequence, which does depend on stellar class. More massive/luminous main sequence stars have shorter lifetimes on the main sequence. But this has nothing to do with time of formation.

Likes plin092

1. What is the oldest type of star?

The oldest type of star is a red dwarf. These stars have a lower mass and burn their fuel at a slower rate, allowing them to live for trillions of years.

2. How do scientists determine the age of a star?

Scientists determine the age of a star by analyzing its chemical composition, mass, and brightness. They also use models and simulations to estimate the star's age based on its location in the galaxy and its evolutionary stage.

3. Is the age of a star related to its size?

Yes, the age of a star is related to its size. Generally, larger stars have a shorter lifespan because they burn through their fuel at a faster rate. Smaller stars, like red dwarfs, have a longer lifespan.

4. Are there any stars that are older than the universe?

No, there are no stars that are older than the universe. The universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years old, and the oldest stars are believed to be around 13.2 billion years old.

5. Can a star be considered "immortal"?

No, a star cannot be considered immortal. Eventually, all stars will run out of fuel and die. However, some stars, like red dwarfs, have a much longer lifespan compared to other types of stars.