Using Google Sketchup for CAD Modeling in FEMM Transformer Simulations?

In summary, the conversation is about using FEMM free software to simulate a ETD core transformer. The person is having trouble with simulating the non-axisymmetric core and is wondering if designing the ferrite cores in AutoCAD or SolidWorks and exporting the .dxf file would work. Another person suggests using Google Sketchup 8 for CAD, which is free and easy to use. They also provide instructions for exporting the model as a DXF file. They advise avoiding sharp angles under 10° to prevent issues with mesching pass.
nagsper
hi there,

i'm trying to simulate a ETD core http://www.ferroxcube.com/prod/assets/etd29.pdf" transformer using FEMM free software but I'm not getting it...i've done some simulations with pot cores and had no problem with that, using the axissymmetric mode. bue this type of core is not axyssymmetric... I've been looking for examples but couldn't find any. should i try to design the ferrite cores in AutoCAD or SolidWorks and export the .dxf file? would it work? has anybody tried it or something lookalike? if somebody could link some examples here would be great...thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi nagsper
I' m new in this list , but for using CAD for FEMM Google sketchup 8 is the best (free and easy) you just have to follow instruction to have two files mores to produce the DXF outputs
see ont ggogle sketchup site to find out the DXF options
but avoid sharp angles (under 10° that increase too much the mesching pass !)
for output on Skethup see tools --> export to DXF or STL --> select the model !
select the units --> export to DXF option : lines
and your model is build ...
have fun !

1. What is FEMM transformer simulation?

FEMM (Finite Element Method Magnetics) transformer simulation is a computer-based tool used to simulate the performance of transformers. It uses numerical methods to solve the governing equations of electromagnetics and provides visualizations of the magnetic field and electrical properties of a transformer.

2. How does FEMM transformer simulation work?

FEMM transformer simulation works by dividing the transformer into a finite number of elements and solving the governing equations for each element. The results are then combined to create a complete picture of the transformer's performance. The user can input parameters such as material properties and winding configurations to customize the simulation.

3. What are the benefits of using FEMM transformer simulation?

FEMM transformer simulation offers several benefits, including the ability to analyze different transformer designs without physically building them, faster design iterations, and the ability to predict performance under various operating conditions. It also allows for a more in-depth understanding of the magnetic field and electrical properties of a transformer.

4. Can FEMM transformer simulation be used for all types of transformers?

Yes, FEMM transformer simulation can be used for all types of transformers, including single-phase and three-phase, power and distribution transformers, and various winding configurations. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the input parameters and assumptions made by the user.

5. Is FEMM transformer simulation an accurate representation of real-world performance?

FEMM transformer simulation is a powerful tool, but it is not a perfect representation of real-world performance. The accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made by the user. It is always recommended to validate the simulation results with physical testing.

Back