Do All Plants Use Fermentation for Energy Production?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fact that all living organisms, including protists, bacteria, and plants, create ATP through fermentation or cellular respiration and then use it in metabolism. It is mentioned that some plants, like the Venus Flytrap, also use cellular respiration to obtain energy from ingested organic material. The conversation also touches upon the ubiquity of ATP in living creatures and how it is often used as an argument for creationism. However, it is noted that the ubiquity of ATP can also be explained through evolution. Overall, it is concluded that plants use both photosynthesis and cellular respiration to capture and release energy, and this is essential for their survival.
Jules18
I was reading my lab manual, and it says "All living organisms, including protists, bacteria, and plants, create ATP in fermentation or cellular respiration and then use ATP in metabolism."
It doesn't go into any more detail than that, it just states it like it's a known fact and then moves on. But I was like... I had no idea that plants used fermentation or cellular resp., I thought they just got all their energy from photosynthesis. :/
So, since I'm pretty sure they don't use cellular resp., does anyone know what kind of fermentation they use? Do they use it all the time, or just when they don't have access to light?

~Jules~

PS. Now that I think about it, there are some plants like the Venus Flytrap that seem to ingest organic material. So do they use cellular respiration?

Biology news on Phys.org
Energy from photosynthesis is stored in sugars, which can be respired to release their energy again.

okay, so do plants use cellular respiration and fermentation as well as photosynthesis?

Think of the bonds in ATP as a transport mechanism, not a storage medium. No matter how an organism accumulates energy, it needs a way to power processes in its cells, and ATP is the molecular "rechargeable battery" that makes this happen.

The ubiquity of this molecule in living creatures is used by creationists as an argument that God must have done this purposefully. The rational argument that evolution from single-celled organisms to more complex organisms resulted in the ubiquity of ATP gets shoved under the rug.

Jules18 said:
okay, so do plants use cellular respiration and fermentation as well as photosynthesis?
Most definitely yes. Photosynthesis requires energy and respiration releases the energy, they are opposite pathways and a plant needs them both. What good would it do if you could only capture energy and never release it again?

Ooooookay.

God, I've been taking bio forever and I never realized that. I thought:
Animals = cell resp
Plants = photosynthesis
and that was it.

The ubiquity of this molecule in living creatures is used by creationists as an argument that God must have done this purposefully.

:biggrin: I love the word ubiquity.

1. What is fermentation in plants?

Fermentation in plants is a metabolic process that converts sugars into energy in the absence of oxygen. It involves the breakdown of glucose molecules into smaller compounds, such as ethanol and carbon dioxide. This process is carried out by microorganisms, such as yeast, and is commonly used in the production of alcohol and bread.

2. How is fermentation different in plants compared to animals?

Fermentation in plants and animals is similar in that it involves the breakdown of sugars into energy. However, in plants, fermentation occurs in specialized organelles called mitochondria, while in animals it occurs in the cytoplasm. Additionally, plants produce different end products such as ethanol and lactic acid, while animals typically produce only lactic acid.

3. What is the role of fermentation in plant growth and development?

Fermentation plays a crucial role in plant growth and development. It provides the energy needed for various metabolic processes, such as cell division and protein synthesis. It also helps plants adapt to stressful environmental conditions, such as low oxygen levels or high temperatures.

4. Can fermentation be harmful to plants?

In some cases, fermentation can be harmful to plants. For example, when the process produces toxic byproducts, it can damage plant cells and inhibit their growth. Additionally, excessive fermentation can deplete the plant's energy reserves and make it more susceptible to diseases and pests.

5. How do scientists study fermentation in plants?

Scientists study fermentation in plants by using various techniques, such as biochemical assays, microscopy, and genetic analysis. They also use model organisms, such as yeast and Arabidopsis thaliana, to understand the molecular mechanisms involved in the process. Additionally, studies on fermentation in plants can have practical applications in agriculture, biotechnology, and medicine.