Few questions about graphing....

• Thread starter awholenumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses doubts about graphs and how variables are represented on them. The concept of a "point mass" is introduced, and the idea of finding roots of equations is brought up. The speaker is encouraged to learn the basics of these subjects before asking further questions.
awholenumber
I have a few doubts about graphs ...
and how variables of an equation or expression are going to look like on a graph ... ?

are they only going to look like single points in graph ??

when we deal with the variable x .. do we deal it as an object ??

I mean .. most of the basic questions are like .. an object is moving through a space with velocity ... and its points in graph is varying at different points ...

find or try to understand the velocity of the object x .. at a specific point ?

what if the object is a bit large ... ?what I have in my mind sort of looks like these ...

I was wondering how graphs of these things are plotted ?? do they make multiple points in the graph of the path of their motion ? as in not simply a point ??
d620fa5.jpg

are they going to look like a messed up graph like this one ?
exterior-rough-carpentry.jpg

if so , which equations do i associate these advanced graphs with ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should learn more about what mathematicians mean by a graph (of a function); if you have not learned any of this at school you could try Khan Academy (you might like to start by revising algebra basics to make sure you understand the explanations that are used later).

When we plot the motion of a solid object we usually represent the object by a single point at its centre of mass - we say that we represent the object as a "point mass".

that is a very new information to me ... i have never heard anyone talking about a "point mass " when doing maths ...

i have lot more questions to ask ... not sure where to begin and where to end .. right now ..

i have been trying to stare into things like these for some time now ...

c49956b.png
just trying to understand some college level maths in terms of graphs ...is there such a thing called regions in graph ? or are they only represented by points ??
does these regions have some sort of name ?

few more questions about graphing ... i was not familiar with this "point mass " concept ... until now ...

this concept of point mass makes graphing a little more easier .. yea ?

every time i try to plot an expression or equation ... i look it as a "point mass " ?

for example .. that function ...

actually i was lost between a lot of stuffs until now ...

from algebraic expressions to equations ...graphs ... to the roots of functions ...

i am trying to imagine a function for that electro magnetic small train ...

my first question would be what does it mean by finding the roots of such an equation ...?

the definition of a function is like a solution that makes the whole equation zero or close to zero ??

am i trying to find the root of such an equation ?

what good is it to find the solution of that function which makes the graph of the small electro magnetic train zero ??

should i be looking for something else ?

it could be like i am confusing .. finding roots .. with differentiation or integration ... ?

I think you need to go and learn the basics of these subjects before you ask random questions, many of which don't make sense. Even for the ones that do make sense, if you haven't learned the basics you won't understand the answers.

I'm sorry, but this is a mishmash of questions that are not completely coherent. And the pictures you are posting are not helping.

Please follow MrAnchovy's advice and come back with more specific questions.

Thread closed.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the purpose of graphing data?

Graphing data allows us to visually represent and analyze relationships, patterns, and trends in data. It is a powerful tool for understanding complex data sets and communicating information to others.

2. How do I choose the best type of graph for my data?

The best type of graph depends on the type of data and the relationship you are trying to show. Some common types of graphs include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. Consider the characteristics of your data and the message you want to convey to determine which type of graph is most appropriate.

3. How do I label and title my graph?

Labels and titles are essential for effectively communicating the information in a graph. The x-axis and y-axis should be labeled with the variable names and units, and the graph should have a descriptive title that summarizes the data being shown.

4. How do I interpret the data in a graph?

To interpret the data in a graph, start by looking at the axes and the scale of the graph. Then, examine the data points and note any patterns or trends. Pay attention to any outliers or unusual data points. Finally, consider the title and labels to understand the context and purpose of the graph.

5. How can I make my graph visually appealing?

To make your graph visually appealing, choose a clear and easy-to-read font for the labels and title. Use colors strategically to highlight important data or differentiate between categories. Make sure the graph is well-proportioned and avoid clutter by only including necessary elements.