Feynman explains the foundations of arithmetic

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible explanation given by Richard Feynman on how the concepts of arithmetic can be derived from basic principles, specifically Peano's axioms. The conversation also mentions a passage from the book "Second Philosophy: A Naturalistic Approach" and a lecture by Feynman on mathematics and physics at Cornell, where he jokes about multi-dimension. The conversation ends with the possibility of remembering elements from chapter 22 of the Feynman Lectures on Physics.
Liberty Bell
A long time ago I read an explanation Richard Feynman did on how the concepts of arithmetic can be derived from basic principles, along the lines of Peano's axioms, but I don't remember where it was. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this passage in the book: Second Philosophy: A Naturalistic Approach

https://books.google.com/books?id=d8MSDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA125&lpg=PA125&dq=feynman+peano+axiom+talk&source=bl&ots=2iH-vUOtlI&sig=zbWg3x1RsoK2stfhO0bK62yOqNY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy0dHAxIHWAhVp0YMKHaERC1AQ6AEINTAC#v=onepage&q=feynman peano axiom talk&f=false

From reading the passage, Feynman is mentioned in the Causal Theory example as a person someone has heard of and then makes some assertion about. I don't believe Feynman said it though. It appears that Kripke gave this as an example of a causal theory and then went on to relate how Peano's name got associated with the Peano Axioms.

Here's Feynman talking about Math and Physics at Cornell for the Messenger Lectures:

and they are classic Feynman. I love the multi-dimension joke.

Likes DrClaude
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I remember him doing an explanation like his algebra lecture but going "further back," starting with sets and natural numbers, and explaining how the concept of "addition" is derived, and from there how you can create the concept of multiplication and other arithmetic operations.

Liberty Bell said:
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I remember him doing an explanation like his algebra lecture but going "further back," starting with sets and natural numbers, and explaining how the concept of "addition" is derived, and from there how you can create the concept of multiplication and other arithmetic operations.
Might you be remembering elements from chapter 22 (Algebra) in volume 1 of the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

Caltech online version: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_toc.html

Likes ericjericj and jedishrfu

What is "Feynman explains arithmetic"?

"Feynman explains arithmetic" refers to a lecture series given by renowned physicist Richard Feynman where he explains the basic principles of arithmetic, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, in a simple and engaging manner.

Why is it important to understand arithmetic?

Arithmetic is the foundation of all mathematics and is essential for everyday life. It allows us to perform basic calculations, make financial decisions, and understand more complex mathematical concepts.

Who can benefit from watching "Feynman explains arithmetic"?

Anyone who wants to improve their understanding of arithmetic can benefit from watching "Feynman explains arithmetic". It is suitable for students of all ages, as well as adults who want to refresh their knowledge of arithmetic.

Do I need prior knowledge of mathematics to understand "Feynman explains arithmetic"?

No, "Feynman explains arithmetic" is designed for those with little to no prior knowledge of mathematics. Feynman uses everyday examples and analogies to explain arithmetic in a simple and relatable way.

Where can I watch "Feynman explains arithmetic"?

"Feynman explains arithmetic" is available for free on various online platforms, such as YouTube and Khan Academy. It can also be found in book form, titled "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!", which includes transcripts of the original lectures.