Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The axiomatization of Quantity Calculus, the logical foundations of DA

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    I was intrigued reading * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantity_calculus" [Broken] that after two centuries axiomatization of QC has not been completed, though there are only 5 basic elements and 4[3] concepts:
    S[tandard],= U[nit], D[imension], Q[uantity]. I suppose nobody here has tackled the problem or knows the state of the art or can tell whether the task is unnecessary or impossible, but, with your help, I would like to examine the problem.

I tried to gather basic scientific information, I found a "formal? " definition of Q http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantity" [Broken] in DA. Moreover, in the article * we read that QC... is "analogous" to a system of algebra with units instead of variables. Now, could you tell me if
    1) VIM3's is the official, best definition available of Q
    2) [you know or] where to find an appropriate definition of D in D[imensional] A[nalysis] and in relation to Q
    3) set theory [arithmetics] ZFC is appropriate for a sistem "analogous" to algebra
    4) the fact that different entities share same dimensions is an obstacle to axiomatization
    5) there is a list of derived quantities

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2
    question 3) is discussed in another thread
    5) I know there is a list, but I can't remember where I saw it (there were some 30 items). It is not at wiki : "list of derived quantities". This question is not important

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook