Feynmann diagrams interpretation and diagramm symmetry order

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
kvl
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to understand Feynman diagrams interpretation in terms of virtual particles. What I still can't understand is how this interpretation is compatible with the fact that one should divide each diagram by its symmetry order.

As far as I understand, diagram symmetry order means how many different physical processes are represented by this diagram. But than one should multiply the probability by this number, not divide !

Probably someone can clarify this a bit...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, symmetry factors are a b&tch! What you have to remember is that they come from an OVERCOUNTING, so you have to divide. You can see this by explicitly looking at Wick's theorem - a single feynman diagram can represent MANY terms in the Wick expansion, and we only want one of these terms. That's why we divide.

I've been doing loop calculations for years, and just last week, my collaborator corrected me on my symmetry factors! I doubt I'll ever get them right first-time! :cry:
 
blechman said:
Yeah, symmetry factors are a b&tch! What you have to remember is that they come from an OVERCOUNTING, so you have to divide. You can see this by explicitly looking at Wick's theorem - a single feynman diagram can represent MANY terms in the Wick expansion, and we only want one of these terms. That's why we divide.
Yes, I understand the Wick's theorem and why we should divide. But what I don't understand is how can it be compatible with interpretation of diagrams in terms of virtual particles creation/anihilation !
 
kvl said:
how can it be compatible with interpretation of diagrams in terms of virtual particles creation/anihilation !

Feynman diagrams are literally terms in an expansion.

It is misleading to think these are diagrams of actually what is happening.
 
masudr said:
Feynman diagrams are literally terms in an expansion.

It is misleading to think these are diagrams of actually what is happening.

I agree. The point is that a feynman diagram overcounts the number of ways lines can attach to vertices. And this is the symmetry factor.
 
masudr said:
Feynman diagrams are literally terms in an expansion.

It is misleading to think these are diagrams of actually what is happening.

Wick theorem used for "external connection" (as shown in Peskin &Schroeder books) shows that your interpretation is correct.