1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field due to ring charge at x-y axis.

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge ##Q## is distributed unifromly around a thin ring of radius ##b## which lies in ##xy## plane with its centre at the origin. Locate the point on the positive ##z## axis where the electric field is strongest ?

Physics ring charge.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\displaystyle d\vec E = {dQ \over b^2 + r^2 }\cos \alpha##. ##r## is the distance between the point, ##\alpha## is the angle between ##z## axis and the displacement vector , and the ring along ##z## axis.

##\displaystyle d\vec E = {\lambda dl \over b^2 + r^2 } \cos \alpha = d\vec E = {\lambda bd\theta \over b^2 + r^2 } \cos \alpha##.

Using ##\displaystyle \cos \alpha = {r \over \sqrt{b^2 + r^2}}##.

##\displaystyle E = {br\lambda \over (b^2 + r^2)^{3/2} } \int^{2\pi}_{0} d\theta = {2\pi br\lambda \over (b^2 + r^2)^{3/2} }##

Since ##\displaystyle \lambda = {Q\over 2\pi b}##,

I get,

##\displaystyle E = {Qr \over (b^2 + r^2)^{3/2}}##

Which has a maximum ##\displaystyle r = {2\over 3\sqrt{3}b^2}##.

Am I correct ?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The derivation of the electric field is correct. Your final answer is not. If b is the radius, your value for r has the wrong dimensions. It must proportional to b not to b-2.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    Oh that was WA's mistake. I got lazy and let it calculate maxima. Is ## r = \pm b/ \sqrt{2}## correct ?

5. May 3, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where is b on the right side of the equation?

6. May 3, 2017 #5
    sorry.

I edited my post. Is the answer ##\pm b/\sqrt{2}## ?

7. May 3, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would pick the positive value because the problem specifies "on the positive z axis". Otherwise it's fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted