Fields in a capacitor before and after adding a dielectric layer

In summary: Gauss's law at the conductor-dielectric interface gives ##D_{\text{diel.}}={\sigma_{\text{free}}}.##At the dielectric-vacuum interface D is continuous: ##D_{\text{vac.}} = D_{\text{diel.}}={\sigma_{\text{free}}}.##You also have ##D_{\text{diel.}} = \epsilon E_{\text{diel.}}##, ##D_{\text{vac.}} = \epsilon_0 E_{\text{vac.}}## and that the discontin
Wadah
Homework Statement
We have a capacitor that with two conductive plates with distance r, We fill to half of them a dielectric material (r / 2). Our task is to calculate D and E fields before and after we lay the material.

I have calculated the D and E fields before and got to:

E = Q / ε0A and D = Q / A = σ, but My question is that Gauss' law says that ∫Dda = Qfdå has no free charges in vacuum so it will be zero and then the D-field will be equal to zero which is right?

After we add the medium I get that (since I assumed here that D = σ before we add the medium):

D = D = -Q / A = -σ_f because it is the free charges that D is affected by in the negative plate therefore we have minus signs.

E (vacuum) gap = Q / ε0A and E (medium) = Qf / εA then (D = εEmedium)

Am I doing the right thing?
Is not it that you have Q_b in the medium just so that you get that E (medium) = Q_b / epsilon A
Relevant Equations
D=epsilon E
relevant eduation

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement does not specify whether the dielectric is added at constant charge (capacitor connected to a battery throughout) or at constant charge (capacitor is charged then disconnected from battery then dielectric is added). Do you know which is the case?

Also, D = ε0E in the vacuum between the plates. If you apply Gauss's law to a pillbox that has one face in the conducting plate and the other face in the vacuum between the plates, you will see why.

kuruman said:
The problem statement does not specify whether the dielectric is added at constant charge (capacitor connected to a battery throughout) or at constant charge (capacitor is charged then disconnected from battery then dielectric is added). Do you know which is the case?

Also, D = ε0E in the vacuum between the plates. If you apply Gauss's law to a pillbox that has one face in the conducting plate and the other face in the vacuum between the plates, you will see why.
we have a constant charge in capacitor. If the D-field in vacuum is equal to sigma and in medium it becomes equal to sigma free (for free charge). since I know that the D-field should be constant so sigma = sigma free. am I right? I have calculated the E-field in vacuum and got that E = Q / epilon_0A and medium I got it to Q / epsilonA. But in both cases which is the free charge, one should not have bound charge or calculate total E in the capacitor by summing up E vacuum with E medium

Likes Delta2
I think D is the same everywhere and before and after the dielectric is added and equal to Q/A where Q the charge of capacitor that remains constant as you said.
it is E that changes, according to the equation ##D=\epsilon E_{dielectric}## for inside the dielectric and ##D=\epsilon_0E_{vacuum}## in the vacuum.

Delta2 said:
I think D is the same everywhere and before and after the dielectric is added and equal to Q/A where Q the charge of capacitor that remains constant as you said.
it is E that changes, according to the equation ##D=\epsilon E_{dielectric}## for inside the dielectric and ##D=\epsilon_0E_{vacuum}## in the vacuum.
In this case, it is in a vacuum D = sigma Because we have no free charges in vacuum E = Q_tot / Aepsilon_0 In medium is D = sigma E = Q_tot / Aepsilon and the E-field for the bound charge becomes E_mediumA-E_vakuumA = Q_b / A epsilon?

If by ##Q_{tot}## you mean ##Q_{free}+Q_{bound}## then I don't agree. Both your equations for E should have ##Q_{free}## instead of ##Q_{tot}##.

The last equation for ##Q_{bound}## I think is correct though. Just a minor correction $$E_{medium}-E_{vacuum}=\frac{Q_{bound}}{\epsilon_0A}$$

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
If by ##Q_{tot}## you mean ##Q_{free}+Q_{bound}## then I don't agree. Both your equations for E should have ##Q_{free}## instead of ##Q_{tot}##.

The last equation for ##Q_{bound}## I think is correct though. Just a minor correction $$E_{medium}-E_{vacuum}=\frac{Q_{bound}}{\epsilon_0A}$$
please can you explain to me how this is possible with E (medium) -E (vacuum) = Q_bound / epsilon_0A

What do you get if you apply Gauss's law for E, that is $$\iint E\cdot dS=\frac{Q_{enclosed}}{\epsilon_0}$$ and taking as gaussian surface a pillbox that has one side inside the vacuum and one side inside the dielectric. Isn't ##Q_{enclosed}=Q_{bound}## for this gaussian surface?

Wadah said:
please can you explain to me how this is possible with E (medium) -E (vacuum) = Q_bound / epsilon_0A
I will restate what has already been said or implied but differently.
1. Gauss's law at the conductor-dielectric interface gives ##D_{\text{diel.}}={\sigma_{\text{free}}}.##
2. At the dielectric-vacuum interface D is continuous: ##D_{\text{vac.}} = D_{\text{diel.}}={\sigma_{\text{free}}}.##
3. You also have ##D_{\text{diel.}} = \epsilon E_{\text{diel.}}##, ##D_{\text{vac.}} = \epsilon_0 E_{\text{vac.}}## and that the discontinuity of the electric field at the interface is proportional to the bound charge: ##E_{\text{vac.}} - E_{\text{diel.}}=\dfrac{\sigma_{\text{bound}}}{\epsilon_ 0}.##

Put it together.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
@kuruman did you intend to write ##Q_{free}## and ##Q_{bound}## instead of ##\sigma_{free}## and ##\sigma_{bound}##, or the denominator with the area ##A## seems redundant.

Likes kuruman
Thanks. I caught my error and corrected it in time Δt but not before you posted your correction in time dt:oldsmile:.

• Love
Likes Delta2

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. What is the purpose of a dielectric layer in a capacitor?

The dielectric layer in a capacitor serves to increase the capacitance, or the ability to store charge, by reducing the electric field between the plates.

3. How does adding a dielectric layer affect the electric field in a capacitor?

Adding a dielectric layer between the plates of a capacitor decreases the electric field, as the dielectric material has a higher permittivity (ability to store electric charge) than air.

4. What happens to the charge on the plates when a dielectric layer is added?

The charge on the plates remains the same when a dielectric layer is added. However, the charge density (charge per unit area) on the plates decreases due to the increased capacitance.

5. Is the energy stored in a capacitor affected by the addition of a dielectric layer?

Yes, the energy stored in a capacitor increases when a dielectric layer is added, as the capacitance increases. This leads to a decrease in the voltage across the plates, as energy is conserved in the system.