Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fight against Microsoft Monopoly

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    This makes me sick. Apparently Fedora (Red Hat) has given in and has agreed to pay Verisign. Ubuntu (Canonical) is making it's own key. But the issue isn't about money as much it is about freedom.

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2
    I'm tired of rootkits. I fully support the technology.

Allowing users to override it program-by-program largely defeats the purpose of it.

Allowing whole new os's to be booted-? Pay the fee if you want to play.

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    I won't buy such machines. If I buy a machine, I require complete right over it.

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4
    Pay the fee for what ?

6. Aug 5, 2012 #5

DavidSnider

Gold Member

You're free not to buy these systems. I don't really see the problem. For the vast majority of users this is a feature, for the rest, they can buy something else.

Microsoft has already said that for Non-ARM based machines that you could turn it off in UEFI.

7. Aug 5, 2012 #6
    How odd - "she".
    I always find it odd when people write she in places where it obvious that the majority of readers are going to be males.

It does seem like it could end up being a slippery slope to becoming a pain in the bottom to run other OS's though.

8. Aug 5, 2012 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't undesrstand your logic. Why do you want to buy a computer designed to run windows, and then complain because that's what it does?

If you want a bare bones system,, get one. You probably won't find any for sale in big computer stores, but I'm sure the Linux community has enough expertise to tell you where to get one, or how to build your own.

9. Aug 24, 2012 #8
    Suppose you share a laptop. And the other person wants Windows. Very few laptops come with Linux pre-installed, so we probably want to buy a laptop with Windows and install Linux. But you can't. (OK, I know you can. But seriously. Changing BIOS settings? Not something I'd like to do to simply get linux boot)

10. Aug 24, 2012 #9
    Exactly. People say that you have the option of switching it off. But to do that for a layman would be tedious and troublesome, so much so that he might let go of the effort to install linux altogether. As it is, few people use linux. Now even those who might just want to "try it out" would be highly discouraged to do so. Not to mention the FUD that comes with it "linux is insecure, microsoft isn't"

11. Aug 24, 2012 #10

DavidSnider

Gold Member

If you're unsure about keeping Linux installed permanently you can just run it through VMWare for a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook