Figuring point in savings account

• Thread starter rock4christ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the amount of time it would take for an initial savings amount of $20000, with a 2% interest per month, to reach $1 million. Different formulas are suggested, including a simple compound interest formula and the use of logs. In the end, it is determined that with a 2% interest per month, it would take approximately 16 and a half years to reach $1 million.
rock4christ
say i have an amount of say $20000 in my savings account and at 2% interest per month when will I have 1 million?

my current method is 20000(1.02)x=1000000, and solve for x

I get 197, which is months, 197/12=16.4yr. about. is that right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess what you want is a simple compound interestformula

A = P ( 1 + r/n ) ^nt

Amount is equal to princple times 1 plus rate divided by number of times interest is compounded per year to the numbver of times interest is compounded per year times time.

PLug in your values and solve for t

so 1000000=20000(1+0.02/12)nt what answer would you get?

Not exactly, n would be 6 because your interest is counted every 2 months .

Also, you have to use the n with the exponent too. After that plug and chug and solve for t. You might have to use logs.

thanks, but i don't know logs yet, I am learning them in this unit tho. I was wondering if someone who did know would figure it for me.

Bitter said:
Not exactly, n would be 6 because your interest is counted every 2 months .

Also, you have to use the n with the exponent too. After that plug and chug and solve for t. You might have to use logs.
Unless it was editted, I don't see where the original post said anything about "every 2 months".

rock4christ said:
so 1000000=20000(1+0.02/12)nt what answer would you get?
No, that would be for 2% per year and the question is about 2% per month (24% annual- PLEASE tell me where you can get that!). The formula in the orginal post was correct.

[itex]20000(1.02)^x=1000000[/itex]
so [itex]1.02^x= 1000000/20000= 50-[/itex], x log(1.02)= log(50),
x= log(50)/log(102)= 198 months, about 16 and a half years, as the original post said. What was all the fuss about?

HallsofIvy said:
Unless it was editted, I don't see where the original post said anything about "every 2 months".

No, that would be for 2% per year and the question is about 2% per month (24% annual- PLEASE tell me where you can get that!). The formula in the orginal post was correct.

[itex]20000(1.02)^x=1000000[/itex]
so [itex]1.02^x= 1000000/20000= 50-[/itex], x log(1.02)= log(50),
x= log(50)/log(102)= 198 months, about 16 and a half years, as the original post said. What was all the fuss about?

ah my mistake, I put the 2 from the 2percent in front of the months. It happens.

I was just seeing if my math was right, and its actually 4% annual, I had a bit of a mix up.

1. How do I figure out the interest rate on my savings account?

The interest rate on your savings account is often listed on your bank or financial institution's website or can be found in your account information. You can also contact your bank directly for more information.

2. What is the formula for calculating interest on a savings account?

The formula for calculating interest on a savings account is: Interest = (Principal amount x Interest rate x Time period) / 100. This formula takes into account the amount of money you have deposited, the interest rate, and the length of time your money has been in the account.

3. Can I earn compound interest on my savings account?

Yes, most savings accounts offer compound interest, which means you earn interest not only on your initial deposit, but also on the interest that has already been accrued. This allows your money to grow at a faster rate over time.

4. How often is interest calculated on a savings account?

The frequency of interest calculation varies by bank, but it is typically calculated daily and added to your account monthly. Some banks may offer higher frequencies of interest calculation, such as weekly or even daily.

5. Are there any fees or penalties for withdrawing money from a savings account?

Most savings accounts have a limit on the number of withdrawals you can make per month without incurring a fee. There may also be penalties for withdrawing money before a certain date, such as a CD maturity date. It is important to check with your bank to understand any fees or penalties associated with your specific savings account.