1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring symmetries of a differential operator from its eigenfunctions

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    So, I understand that the derivative operator, [itex]D=\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] has translational invariance, that is: [itex]x \rightarrow x - x_0[/itex], and its eigenfunctions are [itex]e^{\lambda t}[/itex]. Analogously, the theta operator [itex]\theta=x\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] is invariant under scalings, that is [itex]x \rightarrow \alpha x[/itex], and its eigenfunctions are [itex]x^\lambda[/itex]. Taking logarithms and exponentials, I have constructed a sequence of operators and their respective eigenfunctions, all with the property that [itex]\{L(\frac{d}{dx})\}f^\lambda(x)=\lambda f^\lambda(x)[/itex]. I've taken a picture and attached it to this post.

My guess is that associated with every single one of these operators is some symmetry, some sort of coordinate transformation [itex]x \rightarrow f(x)[/itex] under which the operator is invariant. For the [itex]x\log x \frac{d}{dx}[/itex] operator, its invariant under [itex]x \rightarrow x^k[/itex], by inspection. How can I figure out what sort of symmetry a given operator has, given its eigenfunctions?

Physically, symmetries are associated with conservation laws. For a system whose differential equations are governed by this sort of differential operators, what sort of conserved quantities should I expect?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2
    ##\frac{d}{dx}## is associated with translational symmetry. An infinitesimal translation is produced by acting on a function with the operator ##1 + \epsilon \frac{d}{dx}##, with ##\epsilon## infinitesimal.

##x \frac{d}{dx}## is associated with scale invariance. An infinitesimal rescaling is produced by acting on a function with the operator ##1 + \epsilon x \frac{d}{dx}##, with ##\epsilon## infinitesimal.

Presumably your other operators ##O## can be associated with symmetry transformations with an infinitesimal transformation being implemented by ##1 + \epsilon O##?

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    Ok, I agree with you. How can I figure out the "finite" version of the transformation from its infinitesimal counterpart?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook