Filenames with spaces in Bash script

• Thread starter Chrisas
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is trying to process multiple files with spaces in their names using a script. They have tried using a for loop and awk to automatically get the file names, but encountered syntax failures. The solution was to use a while loop with variable substitution instead.
Chrisas
I get a bunch of input files from a Windows data recorder. It produces file names with spaces everywhere. I am trying to write a script to process these files. This process involves several steps with multiple output files generated. I want to strip off the extension of the input file and use the name with different extensions for the output files.

Example: I can manually type the file names with ' ' and this works
for FILE in 'file 1' 'file 2' 'file 3'
do
stuff1 < ${FILE}.in > ${FILE}.out1
stuff2 < ${FILE}.in > ${FILE}.out2
done

Example: I try to automatically get filenames
for FILE in `ls -1 *.in | awk -F. '{ print $1; }'`
stuff1 < ${FILE}.in > ${FILE}.out1
stuff2 < ${FILE}.in > ${FILE}.out2
done
This fails because FILE contains file 1 file 2 file 3 and so the loop uses just "file" not "file 1".

Example: I tried to use awk to add ' ' around the file names, something like:
for FILE in `ls -1 *.in | awk -F. '{ print "\'", $1, "\'"; }'`
But no matter what I try I get a syntax failure.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Solved: The fix was to use read in a while loop instead of using a for loop. I used variable substition instead of awk to separate the file name from the extension

ls -1 *.in | while read FILE
do
FI=${FILE%.in}
stuff1 < "${FI}.in" > "${FI}.out1"
stuff2 < "${FI}.in" > "${FI}.out2"
done

As a scientist, it is important to understand the technicalities of file naming conventions in different operating systems. In this case, the issue is with filenames containing spaces, which can cause problems when writing a Bash script to process these files.

One potential solution could be to use the "find" command instead of "ls" to retrieve the file names. This will allow you to specify a delimiter for the file names, such as a null character, which can then be used to correctly parse the file names in your script.

Another option could be to use the "read" command to read the file names line by line and then use the "echo" command to add the necessary quotes around the file names before passing them to your script.

It is also important to consider the use of proper quoting and escaping when dealing with file names with spaces. This can help avoid syntax errors and ensure that the file names are correctly interpreted by the script.

In addition, it may be helpful to use a tool such as "printf" to format the file names before passing them to your script, as this can help to ensure that the file names are properly delimited and formatted for use in the script.

Overall, it may take some experimentation and trial and error to find the best solution for handling file names with spaces in a Bash script. But as a scientist, it is important to be persistent and find a solution that works effectively for your specific needs and data.

What is a space in a Bash script filename?

A space in a Bash script filename refers to the presence of a blank space or whitespace character within the name of a file. This can occur when creating a new file or when renaming an existing file.

Why are spaces in Bash script filenames problematic?

Spaces in Bash script filenames can be problematic because they can cause issues when trying to access or manipulate the file using Bash commands. This is because Bash treats spaces as delimiters, which can lead to errors or unexpected outcomes.

How can I create a Bash script with a filename that contains spaces?

To create a Bash script with a filename that contains spaces, you can either enclose the filename in single or double quotes, or you can use an escape character (backslash) before each space. For example, to create a file named "my script.sh", you can use either of the following commands:
- touch "my script.sh"
- touch my\ script.sh

How do I access a file with a space in its filename using Bash commands?

To access a file with a space in its filename using Bash commands, you can enclose the filename in single or double quotes, or you can use an escape character (backslash) before each space. For example, to view the contents of a file named "my script.sh", you can use either of the following commands:
- cat "my script.sh"
- cat my\ script.sh

How can I rename a file with a space in its filename using Bash?

To rename a file with a space in its filename using Bash, you can use the mv command and enclose the old filename and new filename in quotes. For example, to rename a file named "my script.sh" to "new script.sh", you can use the following command:
- mv "my script.sh" "new script.sh"