1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filling in piecewise function from given graph

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    h5BtGnC.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure what to do here. I was thinking maybe the y y1 = m(x x1)? I am having trouble understanding this question. I know what piecewise functions are but filling this in is proving difficult.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start with x<=-2. What is the value of y at x=-3? What is its value at x=-2. What equation of the form you suggest passes through those two points?

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lift your morale by doing the easy parts first. It is pretty clear on the graph what x and f(x) (which maybe you think of as the 'y axis') are meant to be at the points represented by blobs. You can't have any difficulty then in knowing what f(x) is when x ≥ 1 surely?

Edit :I am quite often surprised when students come here asking questions about what is in the first section of Chapter 1 of every book on the subject. This looks like the explanation of what is meant by 'a function' which is typically in that chapter of every book on calculus. 50:1 a very similar example is at the end of that first section in your book.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted