Optimal Final Jeopardy Strategy: All In or Zero?

In summary, the first contestant won because he bet $999 and got the question right. The other two bet their entire stake and lost, leaving them with zero dollars.
Hornbein
TL;DR Summary
Calculating the best Final Jeopardy strategy.
Once in Final Jeopardy the first contestant held $1000 with the other two tied with $12,000 apiece. The first bet $999 and got the question wrong, leaving him with one dollar. The other two both bet their entire stake and got the answer wrong, leaving them with zero dollars. The first contestant won.

I opined that the two bet correctly. Their only reasonable bets were either all in or zero. It seems though that this goes against the popular wisdom of Jeopardy fans, who claimed that betting slightly less than the maximum was the way to go. Perhaps this is true in general but I maintain it false in the case of a tie.

One can complicate things by guessing the likelyhood that each contestant will be able to come up with the correct answer and making a payoff matrix, but such estimates are so speculative I think this isn't worth the bother.

Physics news on Phys.org
In game theory, the optimal answer often depends on the policy of your opponents. Usually, the best policy includes some random behavior so that your opponents are not sure what you will do (and you are not sure of what they will do). All anyone can know are the probabilities.

Hornbein said:
Summary:: Calculating the best Final Jeopardy strategy.

One can complicate things by guessing the likelyhood that each contestant will be able to come up with the correct answer and making a payoff matrix, but such estimates are so speculative I think this isn't worth the bother.
Part of the reason that they reveal the category of the final jeopardy question before the contestants make their wagers is to let the contestants do just that. Do you remember what the category was for this question?

berkeman said:
Part of the reason that they reveal the category of the final jeopardy question before the contestants make their wagers is to let the contestants do just that. Do you remember what the category was for this question?
It was Asian Geography.

Yes, guessing the likely hood of each contestant if they will bet it all or just shy of it will require you to look at their bets on the daily doubles. Do they bet it all or just shy of it? Make sense?

This is an interesting optimization question and is (I think) subject to exact (optimal: best expected outcome for repeated play) solution.
Question: what must be known to provide the optimal solution?
My answer:
  1. Probability of each contestant getting the correct answer
  2. Probability of each contestant making each particular wager
Is that correct (my apologies for this small hijacking)

Likes berkeman
3. How bad would I feel if I bet nothing (based on the category) and the it turned out I knew the question after all?

Category is Shakespeare!

gmax137: $0, Hi Mom!

The Answer is: "She is Caliban's Mother"

gmax137: "Sycorax, dammit! The only Shakespeare I remember; we read "The Tempest" in 7th grade :H :H :frown:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
gmax137 said:
3. How bad would I feel if I bet nothing (based on the category) and the it turned out I knew the question after all?

Category is Shakespeare!
Me, with anything sports. I usually make negative bets. ("I bet $10,000 I don't know this one.")

• Love
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd and gmax137
hutchphd said:
This is an interesting optimization question and is (I think) subject to exact (optimal: best expected outcome for repeated play) solution.
Question: what must be known to provide the optimal solution?
My answer:
  1. Probability of each contestant getting the correct answer
  2. Probability of each contestant making each particular wager
Is that correct (my apologies for this small hijacking)
Edit: You'd imagine , unless you know how well the two players know about Asian Geography from another question in the game, that , given that the players earned $12,000, that their knowledge is overall well-rounded, so that the probability of getting the question right is reasonably-high. Of course, you can make the estimate more precise, using the details and your observations about this specific game, but you'll likely be busy -enough with the game to use all your computing power towards answering questions.

WWGD said:
but you'll likely be busy -enough with the game to use all your computing power towards answering questions.
I'm pretty sure they're both pre-coached and game-assisted to make strategically shrewd bets.

1. What is the optimal final Jeopardy strategy?

The optimal final Jeopardy strategy depends on various factors such as the player's knowledge, confidence, and risk tolerance. However, many experts suggest that going all in or wagering zero are the two most effective strategies.

2. What is the advantage of going all in?

Going all in means wagering all of your points in the final Jeopardy round. This strategy can be advantageous if you are confident in your knowledge of the category and are willing to take a risk to potentially win the game.

3. What are the drawbacks of going all in?

The main drawback of going all in is the high risk involved. If you answer incorrectly, you will lose all of your points and potentially the game. This strategy also requires a high level of confidence and knowledge, which not all players may possess.

4. Why do some players choose to wager zero?

Wagering zero means not risking any points in the final Jeopardy round. This strategy can be beneficial if you have a comfortable lead and want to secure your win. It can also be a smart move if you are unsure of the category and do not want to risk losing points.

5. When is it not advisable to go all in or wager zero?

It is not advisable to go all in or wager zero if you are in a close game and need to maintain your lead. In this case, it may be more strategic to wager a conservative amount. It is also not advisable to go all in or wager zero if you have a significant lead and risk losing the game by wagering all or nothing.