Final Temperature of a Lightbulb filament

In summary: I am using the notation ##T_0## for the initial temperature, just to make it easier to read.) Since the current is ##I_0/6## when the light is first turned on, you need to solve for ##T## in the equation ##I_0/6 = I(1+\alpha(T-T_0))##.In summary, the filament of an incandescent light bulb takes time to fully heat up and reach its equilibrium temperature when the bulb is switched on. The filament is made of Tungsten and the potential difference across it remains constant during this warm up period. If the steady state current is only 1/6 of the initial current when the bulb is first turned on
Augustine Duran

Homework Statement

When an incandescent light bulb is switched on, it can take a few moments for the filament to fully heat up and reach its equilibrium temperature. Assume the filament of a given light bulb is made of Tungsten, and also
assume the potential difference across the filament is maintained at a constant value during this short warm up
period. If the ‘steady state’ current is measured to be only 1/6 of the current drawn when the lamp is first turned on, then what is the final operating temperature of the filament? Assume the initial temperature of the filament is 20 °C, and assume the resistivity increases linearly with increasing temperature.

Homework Equations

R = Ro[1+∝(T-To)]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not given the resistance here but i am told the voltage is constant throughout this warm up. So i can use
R = V/I

Plug into R = Ro[1+∝(T-To)]

V/I = V/Io [1+∝(T-To)]

Since voltage is constant i can divide both sides to cancel them out, also multiply both sides by I and Io leaving me with

Io = I [1+∝(T-To)]

Im told the steady state current is only 1/6 of the initial current when the bulb is first turned on so i can say
I= 1/6 Io and plug it into the equation.

Io = 1/6 Io [1+∝(T-To)]

From here i cancel out Io from both sides and solve for T. The answer is get is
1131 oC, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the constant of proportionality ∝ ?

Augustine Duran said:

Homework Statement

When an incandescent light bulb is switched on, it can take a few moments for the filament to fully heat up and reach its equilibrium temperature. Assume the filament of a given light bulb is made of Tungsten, and also
assume the potential difference across the filament is maintained at a constant value during this short warm up
period. If the ‘steady state’ current is measured to be only 1/6 of the current drawn when the lamp is first turned on, then what is the final operating temperature of the filament? Assume the initial temperature of the filament is 20 °C, and assume the resistivity increases linearly with increasing temperature.

Homework Equations

R = Ro[1+∝(T-To)]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not given the resistance here but i am told the voltage is constant throughout this warm up. So i can use
R = V/I

Plug into R = Ro[1+∝(T-To)]

V/I = V/Io [1+∝(T-To)]

Since voltage is constant i can divide both sides to cancel them out, also multiply both sides by I and Io leaving me with

Io = I [1+∝(T-To)]

Im told the steady state current is only 1/6 of the initial current when the bulb is first turned on so i can say
I= 1/6 Io and plug it into the equation.

Io = 1/6 Io [1+∝(T-To)]

From here i cancel out Io from both sides and solve for T. The answer is get is
1131 oC, is this correct?
That looks correct to me! :smile:

'Just a heads-up though,

1) The symbol you used "∝" is, I think, the "proportional to" symbol. I believe you meant to use "α" alpha.

2) In your final equation, Io = 1/6 Io [1+α(T-To)], you've used two "Io"s. I'm pretty sure one of them should be an "I".

3) You haven't specified your value for Tungsten's temperature coefficient of resistance. In the future, you should specify such things in either the problem statement section or the relevant equations section.

Otherwise it looks good to me. :smile:

I used the temperature coefficient for tungsten which is 4.5E-3 according to my book

collinsmark said:
That looks correct to me! :smile:

1) The symbol you used "∝" is, I think, the "proportional to" symbol. I believe you meant to use "α" alpha.

2) In your final equation, Io = 1/6 Io [1+α(T-To)], you've used two "Io"s. I'm pretty sure one of them should be an "I".

1) oops, they look similar ;p

2) well since I is going to be 1/6 of Io can't i just substitute 1/6 Io for I?

Augustine Duran said:
I used the temperature coefficient for tungsten which is 4.5E-3 according to my book
OK, good. Then the correct equatiion to solve as collinsmark suggested is ##I_0 =I( 1+\alpha(T-T_0))##

1. How is the final temperature of a lightbulb filament determined?

The final temperature of a lightbulb filament is determined by the amount of electrical energy that is converted into heat. This is dependent on the wattage of the lightbulb and the resistance of the filament material.

2. What factors can affect the final temperature of a lightbulb filament?

The final temperature of a lightbulb filament can be affected by the wattage of the lightbulb, the resistance of the filament material, and the surrounding environment. Higher wattage and lower resistance will result in a higher final temperature, while a cooler environment will lower the temperature.

3. Is there a maximum temperature that a lightbulb filament can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum temperature that a lightbulb filament can reach. This is known as the melting point of the filament material. If the temperature exceeds this point, the filament will melt and the lightbulb will no longer function.

4. Can the final temperature of a lightbulb filament be controlled?

Yes, the final temperature of a lightbulb filament can be controlled to some extent. This can be done by adjusting the wattage of the lightbulb or using different types of filament materials with varying resistance. However, the surrounding environment can also play a role in the final temperature.

5. How does the final temperature of a lightbulb filament affect the lifespan of the lightbulb?

The final temperature of a lightbulb filament can greatly affect the lifespan of the lightbulb. Higher temperatures can cause the filament to degrade and burn out faster, shortening the lifespan of the lightbulb. This is why it is important to use the correct wattage for your lightbulb and avoid overheating the filament.