1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal radiation lab experiment

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I have to plan and carry out an experiment on thermal radiation as part of my physics lab module. The description of the experiment is as follows: Investigate the radiation from a bulb filament as a function of input power, using a pyrometer to measure the temperature of the filament.

I'm guessing the purpose of this experiment is to verify the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that P=AσT^4 where P is the power radiated from the object, A is the surface area of the object (filament or light bulb?) and T is its temperature in Kelvin, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant. So, plotting P against T^4, and dividing the gradient of the resultant graph by A should give me a value close to Stefan's constant. But I have 2 questions:

1) Should I measure the surface area of the bulb, or the filament?
    2) Can I assume input power = P, so that I can calculate the values of P using a multimeter in a circuit?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you kept the filament the same but made the bulb ten times the diameter, would the power from it change?
    Seems fair.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    I don't think it would.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so which area matters?

6. Dec 1, 2013 #5
    The surface area of the filament.

7. Dec 1, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted