• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Final temperature of the liquid water?

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A 10-kg block of ice has a temperature of -12°C. The pressure is one atmosphere. The block absorbs 4.15 106J of heat. What is the final temperature of the liquid water?

Homework Equations

Q=mcT

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i have to find the change from -12 to 0 deg c and then use mLfusion for the ice and add them. i am lost after that. i keep getting the wrong answer. how do i do this?

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i have to find the change from -12 to 0 deg c and then use mLfusion for the ice and add them. i am lost after that. i keep getting the wrong answer. how do i do this?
You'll need to do an energy balance.

Heat absorbed = heat to change phase of the ice + heat to increase the temperature from -12 to T.

you know that heat to change phase of the ice=mLfusion and the heat to increase the temperature = mc(T2-T1).

so would i do Q=mcT+mL as 4.15E6=(10)(4186)(T-12)+(10)(334)? because that is not giving me the correct answer. can you please explain to me what I am doing wrong here?

dont bother. i undersand it now. i was to take the heat gained to ive, ice melting, and water warming up. thank you for your assistance