Final velocities from head elastic head on collisions

In summary, two balls, A and B, with equal mass collide with velocities +3.00 m/s and -2.00 m/s respectively. Using the law of conservation of kinetic energy and the formula for relative velocity, it can be determined that after the collision, ball A has a velocity of -2.00 m/s and ball B has a velocity of +3.00 m/s. Solving for the velocities involves relating them to each other and using simultaneous equations.
henry3369

Homework Statement

Ball A with velocity +3.00 m/s collides with ball B with equal mass traveling at -2.00 m/s. What is the velocity of each ball after the collision.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that momentum is conserved because, but solving the conservation of momentum equation yields two unknowns. I also tried impulse-momentum theorem and conservation of kinetic energy, but I'm not sure how that will help. The answer is Ball has velocity -2.00 m/s and ball B has velocity +3.00 m/s. Is there a formula to actually solve for this because they don't give you either of the final velocities.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you use the law of conservation of kinetic energy?

If you can put one of the velocities of the balls after the collision in term of the other , you can solve this problem.
And the law of conservation of kinetic energy would help you.

Maged Saeed said:
If you can put one of the velocities of the balls after the collision in term of the other , you can solve this problem.
And the law of conservation of kinetic energy would help you.
Well in my book they gave me a formula for relative velocity which is V2f-V1f = -(V2i-V1i). And I have the initial velocities and which will leave me with two unknowns still. Do I have to relate this somehow to conservation of kinetic energy and solve simultaneous equations?

Ahh I got it. Thank you!

1. What is a head-on collision?

A head-on collision is a type of collision where two objects collide directly with each other while traveling in opposite directions.

2. How does an elastic head-on collision differ from an inelastic collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other and continue moving. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound, resulting in the objects sticking together after the collision.

3. How do you calculate the final velocities in a head-on collision?

The final velocities in a head-on collision can be calculated using the equation: v1 = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * u1 and v2 = (2 * m1)/(m1+m2) * u1, where v1 and v2 are the final velocities of objects 1 and 2, m1 and m2 are their masses, and u1 is the initial velocity of object 1.

4. Is the final velocity of an object always greater in an elastic head-on collision compared to an inelastic collision?

No, the final velocity of an object can be greater or smaller in an elastic head-on collision compared to an inelastic collision. It depends on the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved.

5. Can the final velocities be negative in a head-on collision?

Yes, the final velocities can be negative in a head-on collision if the objects involved are traveling in opposite directions and have different masses. This indicates that the objects have changed direction after the collision.