Final velocity of 2 spheres attracted by gravity and electrostatic charge

In summary, the problem involves two insulating spheres with different radii, masses, and charges being released from rest and colliding after a certain distance. The attempt at solving it involved using various equations and concepts, but it was eventually determined that the total internal energy and angular momentum of the system are conserved, and the effect of gravity can be ignored. The final answer for the velocity of the smaller sphere at the time of collision is 16.0m/s.
Runaway

Homework Statement

Two insulating spheres having radii 0.22 cm
and 0.42 cm, masses 0.16 kg and 0.47 kg, and
charges −4 μC and 5 μC are released from
rest when their centers are separated by 1 m.
How fast is the smaller sphere moving when
they collide?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

Fg=(G * m1 * m2)/r2
Fe= (k q1 * q2)/r
F=ma
Vf2=V02+ 2a * X

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm AP Physics and the class is supposed to be algebra and trig. based, but I don't see any way to solve this problem without calculus because the forces will constantly increase as the two spheres become closer. So my question is: can this be done algebraically or does it have to be done with calculus, and if it can be done algebraically how do I calculate the sphere's velocity when the force acting upon it, and thus it's acceleration, is constantly increasing?
Work so far:
F= Fg + Fe
F= (k q1 * q2)/r + (G * m1 * m2)/r2
and using F=ma, a1 = F / m1 = (k q1 * q2)/r + (G * m1 * m2)/r2 / m1
and using Vf2=V02+ 2a * X
Vf for m1=sqrt(V02+ 2a * X)=
sqrt(2 ( k * q1 * q2)/r + (G * m1 * m2)/r2 / m1)* X))
where X = the initial distance between the two spheres

Physics news on Phys.org
i will give you two concepts using which you can solve this ...
you can assume that net external force is 0
so "Total Internal Energy of the System" is conserved and also "Angular Momentum of the System" is constant

I don't see how that helps me account for the fact that the acceleration isn't constant due to the forces increasing as the distance between them decreases.

The total energy is conserved, so PE is trading off with KE. The "experiment" begins with PE and no KE...

and feel free to ignore gravity. it will have no effect.

Thanks for all your help, I figured it out: 16.0m/s

eczeno said:
and feel free to ignore gravity. it will have no effect.

you mean gravity due to earth?
coz i guess gravity b/w 2 spheres will have effect

well, you have that backward. the gravity between the two spheres will be insignificant compared to the electric force between them (like a factor of 10^10 less). they will both be affected by Earth's gravity, but this problem does not ask you to address that.

1. What is the final velocity of two spheres attracted by gravity and electrostatic charge?

The final velocity of two spheres attracted by both gravity and electrostatic charge can be calculated using the equations for gravitational and electrostatic forces. The final velocity will depend on the initial velocities and positions of the spheres, as well as the masses and charges of the spheres.

2. How does the strength of the electrostatic charge affect the final velocity?

The strength of the electrostatic charge will affect the final velocity by influencing the magnitude of the electrostatic force between the spheres. A stronger charge will result in a greater force and therefore a higher final velocity.

3. Can the final velocity be negative?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative if the spheres have opposite charges and are initially moving towards each other. In this case, the electrostatic force will act in the opposite direction of the gravitational force, resulting in a negative final velocity.

4. What happens to the final velocity if the masses of the spheres are increased?

If the masses of the spheres are increased, the final velocity will also increase. This is because the gravitational force between the spheres will be greater, resulting in a larger acceleration and therefore a higher final velocity.

5. How does the distance between the spheres affect the final velocity?

The distance between the spheres will affect the final velocity by influencing the strength of the gravitational and electrostatic forces. As the distance between the spheres decreases, the forces will become stronger and the final velocity will increase. Conversely, as the distance increases, the forces will become weaker and the final velocity will decrease.