Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix

  • Thread starter Thread starter theBEAST
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix. This matrix cannot be equal to the identity matrix unless it is cubed.

So for example:
B3 = [1 0;0 1]
but
B≠[1 0;0 1]

The Attempt at a Solution


The professor told us that we have to use a linear transformation where you rotate it three times by 120o. The problem I have is that I cannot visualize how such rotations can solve the problem. Also I don't even know what to rotate. If anyone knows what to do it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you rotate a vector x by 120 degrees about the origin three times?
 
You get back to the original vector. But i still can't relate this to cubing a matrix.
 
Think "rotation matrix."
 
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement


Find a 2 by 2 matrix such that when cubed, is equal to the identity matrix. This matrix cannot be equal to the identity matrix unless it is cubed.

So for example:
B3 = [1 0;0 1]
but
B≠[1 0;0 1]

The Attempt at a Solution


The professor told us that we have to use a linear transformation where you rotate it three times by 120o. The problem I have is that I cannot visualize how such rotations can solve the problem. Also I don't even know what to rotate. If anyone knows what to do it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

what you would be rotating is the entire plane, or R2. such a rotation would take the point (x,y) = (1,0) to the point (x',y') = (cosθ,sinθ). that "almost" gives you the matrix right there. use geometry to see if you can figure out where (0,1) might rotate to.