Find a,b,c in sin^5(x) = asin(x) + bsin(3x) + csin(5x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter soopo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
soopo
Messages
222
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find A,B,C in sin^5(x) = Asin(x) + Bsin(3x) + Csin(5x).

The Attempt at a Solution



I get by Euler the double angle identities for [itex]sin(3x) and sin(5x)[/itex].
They are

[tex]sin(3x) = s(2x) c(x) + c(2x) s(x)[/tex]
[tex]sin(5x) = s(3x) c(2x) + c(3x) s(2x)[/tex]I have the following expression now

[tex] <br /> sin^5(x) = 1 - cos^5(x) - 5c^4(x)s(x) - 10c^3(x)s^2(x) - 10 c^2(x)s^3(x) - 5 c(x)s^4(x)[/tex]

where the trigonometric terms are [itex](1/2) s(2x) c^3(x), (1/4) (s(2x))^2 c(x), (1/4) (s2x)^2 s(x), (1/2) s(2x) s^3(x)[/itex], respectively.

I get the common term [itex][(1/2)s(2x) = c(x)s(x)[/itex] by the double angle identity of sine.

So you have [itex](-5/2) s(2x) (c^3(x) + c(x) + s(x) + s^(x)[/itex].

By comparing the terms to the given equation, we get

[tex]Bsin(3x) = B (s(2x) c(x) + c(2x) s(x) )[/tex]
[tex]Csin(5x) = C ( s(3x) c(2x) + c(3x) s(2x) )[/tex]

so we have

[tex]B c(x) + C c(3x) = (-5/2) ( c^3(x) + c(x) + s(x) + s^3(x) )[/tex]
which implies that [itex]C = - \frac {-5} {2}[/itex]

The other term is in the form

[tex]B c(x) = (-5/2) ( c(x) + s(x) + s^3(x) )[/tex]
where where [itex]s(x) + s^3(x) = s(x) (1 + s^(x) = 2s(x) - c^2(x) s(x)[/itex] by Pythagoras.

However, I do not see directly how to get the term [itex]c(x) [/tex] to the RHS of the equation.<br /> <br /> ---------------------------------------My first attempt seems to be useless, since the answer may be found by Fourier series too.<br /> However, I have little experience of them and cannot see to how use them here.How can you find A, B and C by Fourier series or by other method?[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org