Solving Limits: Finding a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ Form

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the values of a, b, c, and d in the limit expression given, using methods to find limits. It was suggested to use the concept of dominating terms, and the hint was given to use the algebraic identity for difference of squares.
Victim
Member warned that some work must be shown

Homework Statement

lim x~∞ 〈√(x⁴+ax³+3x²+ bx+ 2) - √(x⁴+ 2x³- cx²+ 3x- d) 〉=4 then find a, b, c and d[/B]

Homework Equations

all the methods to find limits

The Attempt at a Solution

it can be said that the limit is of the form ∞-∞.I am completely stuck at this question.the answer is a=2 b∈ R c=5 d∈R.I think that this question can be solved by the concept of dominating terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
Victim said:

Homework Statement

lim x~∞ 〈√(x⁴+ax³+3x²+ bx+ 2) - √(x⁴+ 2x³- cx²+ 3x- d) 〉=4 then find a, b, c and d[/B]

Homework Equations

all the methods to find limits

The Attempt at a Solution

it can be said that the limit is of the form ∞-∞.I am completely stuck at this question.the answer is a=2 b∈ R c=5 d∈R.I think that this question can be solved by the concept of dominating terms.

You were already given all the hints you need in your other similar post. Remember your elementary algebra: ##u^2 - v^2 = (u-v)(u+v)##, so for positive ##A## and ##B## we can write
$$A-B = (\sqrt{A} - \sqrt{B}) (\sqrt{A} + \sqrt{B}).$$
You can use this to re-write ##\sqrt{A} - \sqrt{B}##.

Likes Victim
Ray Vickson said:
You were already given all the hints you need in your other similar post. Remember your elementary algebra: ##u^2 - v^2 = (u-v)(u+v)##, so for positive ##A## and ##B## we can write
$$A-B = (\sqrt{A} - \sqrt{B}) (\sqrt{A} + \sqrt{B}).$$
You can use this to re-write ##\sqrt{A} - \sqrt{B}##.
THANKS I got it.

1. How do I find the values of a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form?

In order to solve for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and solving equations. Start by identifying which term(s) in the expression have an infinite value and then work backwards to determine the values of a, b, c, and d.

2. What is the purpose of finding the values of a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form?

The values of a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form help us to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches infinity. They also help us to evaluate limits and determine if they exist or not.

3. Can I use L'Hospital's Rule to solve for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule can be used to solve for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form. This rule states that if you have a limit of the form ∞-∞, you can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluate the limit again.

4. Are there any restrictions when solving for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form?

Yes, there are a few restrictions when solving for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form. First, the limit must exist in order for the values of a, b, c, and d to be determined. Additionally, the function must be continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

5. Are there any helpful tips for solving for a, b, c, and d for ∞-∞ form?

One helpful tip is to try factoring the expression to see if any terms can be cancelled out. Another tip is to simplify the expression as much as possible before evaluating the limit. Additionally, it can be helpful to graph the function to visualize the behavior as it approaches infinity.