Find a basis for the null space of the transpose operator

• Thread starter nateHI
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let ##n## be a positive integer and let ##V = P_n## be the space of polynomials over ##R##. Let D be the differentiation operator on ##V## . Find a basis for the null space of the transpose operator ##D^t: V^*\to V^*##.

Homework Equations

Let ##T:V\to W## be a linear transformation. Then ##(im T)^0=kerT^t##
Let let ##\{f_0,f_1,...f_n\}## be a dual basis for ##\{v_0,...,v_n\}## then ##f_i(v_j)=\delta_{ij}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\{1,x,...x^n\}## be a basis for ##V## and let ##\{f_0,f_1,...f_n\}## be the dual basis. The image of ##D## is the set of polynomials with degree less than n. We know from ##f_i(v_j)=\delta_{ij}## that ##f_n## will annihilate any polynomial without an ##x^n## term. But that is the entire image of ##D## so ##\{f_n\}## is the basis we seek, where I used ##(im T)^0=kerT^t##.

I think this is correct, I'm just looking for tips to make it cleaner.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

maajdl
Gold Member
What does that mean:

Find a basis for the null space of the transpose operator Dt:V∗→V∗.

What is the relation between D and DT?
What is the definition of V* ?

What does that mean:

Sorry for my lack of understanding, are you asking or prompting me to think harder because I missed something?

maajdl
Gold Member
No, I just ask because I think I might answer if I understood the question a bit more.
By the way, informal discussion is often helpful.
That's my own experience.

maajdl
Gold Member
I just understood that your question involved the dual space and Dt is probably the equivalent of D in this space.
On wikipedia, the dual space is defined on the basis of "coordinates" , which is not very encouraging for me.
How is the norm defined, how can I construct the dual space?

I just understood that your question involved the dual space and Dt is probably the equivalent of D in this space.
On wikipedia, the dual space is defined on the basis of "coordinates" , which is not very encouraging for me.
How is the norm defined, how can I construct the dual space?

Hmm, very good questions. I'll take a crack at answering tomorrow night. I just finished my homework and need some sleep. Unless of course someone smarter than me (of which there are many to choose from) gets to it first.

pasmith
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let ##n## be a positive integer and let ##V = P_n## be the space of polynomials over ##R##. Let D be the differentiation operator on ##V## . Find a basis for the null space of the transpose operator ##D^t: V^*\to V^*##.

What does that mean:

If [itex]V[/itex] is a vector space over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], then the dual space [itex]V^{*}[/itex] is the set of linear functions from [itex]V[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. It is not necessary for [itex]V[/itex] to be an inner product space or normed space for the dual space to be defined.

A linear map [itex]f: V \to W[/itex] has a corresponding dual map [itex]f^{t} : W^{*} \to V^{*}[/itex] given by
[tex]
f^t : \phi \mapsto (\phi \circ f)
[/tex]

Here we are asked for a basis of [itex]\ker D^t = \{\phi \in P_n^{*}: D^t(\phi) = 0\}[/itex], where [itex]D: v \mapsto v'[/itex] is the differentation operator on [itex]V[/itex].

Homework Equations

Let ##T:V\to W## be a linear transformation. Then ##(im T)^0=kerT^t##
Let let ##\{f_0,f_1,...f_n\}## be a dual basis for ##\{v_0,...,v_n\}## then ##f_i(v_j)=\delta_{ij}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\{1,x,...x^n\}## be a basis for ##V## and let ##\{f_0,f_1,...f_n\}## be the dual basis. The image of ##D## is the set of polynomials with degree less than n. We know from ##f_i(v_j)=\delta_{ij}##

You need to define [itex]v_j = x^j[/itex].

that ##f_n## will annihilate any polynomial without an ##x^n## term. But that is the entire image of ##D## so ##\{f_n\}## is the basis we seek, where I used ##(im T)^0=kerT^t##.

I think this is correct, I'm just looking for tips to make it cleaner.

I think you have actually to say what [itex]f_n[/itex] is, other than "the dual vector such that [itex]f_n(x^k) = \delta_{kn}[/itex]".

The short proof is to write down
[tex]D^t(\phi)\left(\sum_{k=0}^n a_kx^k\right) = \sum_{k=1}^n ka_k\phi(x^{k-1})[/tex]
and see that [itex]D^t(\phi) = 0[/itex] requires [itex]\phi(1) = \phi(x) = \dots = \phi(x^{n-1})= 0[/itex], so that [itex]\phi(v) = cv^{(n)}(0)[/itex] for some scalar [itex]c[/itex].