Find a function with the same maximum and minimum? What?

In summary: Z, and yet, at every "step" (look at the graph) every point is considered to be both a local minimum and a local maximum.Sorry to disappoint you, there's no minima or maxima for a straight line as there is no change in slope.
zeion

Homework Statement

Name two different functions that share a maximum and minimum at -4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a vague question. I guess horizontal lines would be one. I can't think of another.
A function that is always a point?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

Name two different functions that share a maximum and minimum at -4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a vague question. I guess horizontal lines would be one. I can't think of another.
A function that is always a point?
Some textbooks distinguish between maximum and maximum value, and similarly for minimum and minimum value. Here maximum or minimum refer to the x-value, while maximum value or minimum value refer to the function value.

For example, the function f(x) = x2 - 2x has a minimum of 1 and a minimum value of -1.

As I interpret your problem, you need to find one function that has a maximum at -4 and another that has a minimum at -4.

It wouldn't hurt to get clarification from your instructor.

How about f(x) = -4 ?

zgozvrm said:
How about f(x) = -4 ?
I believe that was what zeion said in his original post. The problem is to find another function that has the same number as maximum and minimum.

Zeion, what, exactly, are the conditions on the function? Would "f(0)= -4, f(x) not defined for any other value of x" work?

This question needs two clarifications:

1.) Maxima and Minima or actual values? (I take it as actual values, maxima and minima can't exist on a single point)

2.) Whether the question is demanding a single equation have both maximum (values?) and minimum (values?) at x = -4 or two equation each with maximum and minimum.

Last edited:
two thoughts:

1) are discontinuous functions allowed?

2) how about a function with a local min equal to a local max?

No local Min or Max for discontinuous functions as I believe. Main is whether the min/max value or minima and maxima (which corresponds to x)

AGNuke said:
No local Min or Max for discontinuous functions as I believe. Main is whether the min/max value or minima and maxima (which corresponds to x)
int(x) has jump discontinuities at each x ε Z, and yet, at every "step" (look at the graph) every point is considered to be both a local minimum and a local maximum.

Sorry to disappoint you, there's no minima or maxima for a straight line as there is no change in slope.

How can we differentiate a non-continuous function to find out its zero slope?

I'm going by the definitions of "local maximum" and "local minimum" in my precalculus book:
A local maximum of a function f is a value f(c) that is greater than or equal to all range values of f on some open intervale containing c. If f(c) is greater than or equal to all range values in f, then f(c) is the maximum (or absolute maximum) of f.
(The book also has a similar definition for a local minimum)
So, for the function f(x) = int(x), for any a that is NOT an integer, f(a) is both a local maximum and a local minimum of f.

1. What does it mean to find a function with the same maximum and minimum?

Finding a function with the same maximum and minimum means that the function has the same highest and lowest values. In other words, the maximum and minimum values occur at the same input or x-value.

2. Why is finding a function with the same maximum and minimum important?

Finding a function with the same maximum and minimum can be important in various applications, such as optimization problems in mathematics and engineering. It can also provide insight into the behavior of a function and its critical points.

3. Can any function have the same maximum and minimum?

No, not all functions can have the same maximum and minimum. For example, a linear function with a positive slope will have a different maximum and minimum, whereas a constant function will have the same maximum and minimum.

4. How can I find a function with the same maximum and minimum?

There are various methods to find a function with the same maximum and minimum. One approach is to use calculus and find the critical points of the function. Another method is to graph the function and observe where the maximum and minimum occur.

5. Are there any real-life examples of functions with the same maximum and minimum?

Yes, there are real-life examples of functions with the same maximum and minimum. One example is a Ferris wheel, where the maximum and minimum heights occur at the same point. Another example is a bouncing ball, where the maximum and minimum heights are the same if the ball bounces vertically.