1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a linear transformation such that it maps the disk onto

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a linear transformation w = f(z) such that it maps the disk Δ(2) onto the right half-plane {w | Re(w) > 0} satisfying f(0) = 1 and arg f'(0) = π/2

2. Relevant equations

[itex] w = f(z) = \frac{az+b}{cz+d} [/itex]

[itex] z = f^{-1}(w) = \frac{dw-b}{-cw+a} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex] z = f^{-1}(1) = \frac{d(1)-b}{-c(1)+a} = \frac{d-b}{-c+a} = 0 [/itex] ⇒ d=b

I don't think I'm quite yet finished. I've seen another method online that would start with the observation that the boundary of the open disk would necessarily map to the boundary of the right half-plane which is the imaginary axis. What's the best way to approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You are saying that if the point on the edge of the disk, say point ##(r, \theta)## will necessarily have real part = 0, and as you close in on zero, you will be moving at toward real part = 1, and in some way you should push out to infinity.
    Start by thinking about which parts will map to which locations, then find the function that meets those needs.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please do not call these transformations "linear"---they are not. They are "fractional linear" or maybe "linear fractional", but that is usually much different from straight "linear" (the exception being when the denominator is constant).

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4
    I've stated the problem verbatim, but I do understand the distinction.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Okay. I used another method.

[z, 0, 2, -2] = [w, 1, i, 0]

[itex] \frac{(w-q_1)(r_1-s_1)}{(w-s_1)(r_1-q_1)} =\frac{(z-q)(r-s)}{(z-s)(r-q)} [/itex]

Plugging in the respective coordinates, I get w = [itex] \frac{2i(2+z)}{(-2zi + 4i -4z)}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted