1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all real numbers such that the series converges

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all real numbers x ≠ −1 such that the series

Ʃn=1 (1/n) . [(x-1)/(x+1)]n

converges..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I really do not know where to start here. I assume you could first prove it converges sing a test but i'm really not sure.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2011 #2

Well no, you're trying to find x such that the series converges, not prove that the series does converge, which it doesn't for many values of x.

If I asked you to find the radius of convergence for [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}y^{n}[/tex] would you know what I was on about? Or if you haven't done radius of convergence yet, would you be perhaps able to see which values of [itex]y[/itex] would make the above sum converge?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    Yes, i have brief experience with the radius of convergence, however I thought that more often than not you had to use the ratio test with the radius of convergence? In that example would the Radius = ∞?

What values of y would we need for it to converge?

Regards

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4
    Well if you have seen the radius of convergence then you should have seen the formula [tex]r=lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}|\frac{C_{n}}{C_{n+1}}|[/tex] so can you see how to use that to find the values of [itex]y[/itex]?

And them presuming you can see it, do you see how to find the values of [itex]x[/itex] from that?

6. Nov 5, 2011 #5

Okay, using the formula you gave me:

lim(n→∞) (n+1)/n . yn/yn+1

= lim(n→∞) (n+1)/n . 1/y

Now what?.. I can see the (n+1)/n diverges..

7. Nov 5, 2011 #6
    No sorry I should have stated what the various things were.

If you have something of the form [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{n}y^{n}[/tex] then the radius of convergence, [itex]r[/itex] is defined by the formula I gave in the last post.

And [itex]\frac{n+1}{n}[/itex] doesn't diverge.

8. Nov 5, 2011 #7
    i don't understand. :/

9. Nov 5, 2011 #8
    Okay so [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}y^{n}[/tex] is of the form [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{n}y^{n}[/itex] where [itex]C_{n}=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]

Do you see now how to find the radius of convergence for the series?

10. Nov 5, 2011 #9
    Okay.. so using that formula we get as n→∞ lim [ (n+1)/1 . 1/y ]

but since (n+1)/1 converges to 1 then we have... 1/y < 1.. therefore y>1

How's that

11. Nov 5, 2011 #10
    No, you're not finding the limit of anything involving [itex]y[/itex], you're just finding [tex]r=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{C_{n}}{C_{n+1}}[/tex].

And then from there you'll have [itex]-r<y<r[/itex] as values for which the series converges which you can use to find [itex]x[/itex] in your original question.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  12. Nov 5, 2011 #11
    Wow, i'm not functioning today..

So Cn=1/n

So, r = lim (1/n) / (1/n+1)

r = lim (n+1)/n

r=1

therefore, -1<y<1

13. Nov 5, 2011 #12
    Yes! Now that you know the range of values y=(x-1)/(x+1) can take, you should be able to immediately see how to find the range of values x can take :)

14. Nov 5, 2011 #13
    Thanks for your help.. I still cant see how I could use them.. Am i missing something here.. There are no values in my original question.

15. Nov 5, 2011 #14
    Well you have that if you want [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}y^{n}[/tex] to converge then you must have [itex]-4<y<4[/itex]

Then you can simply say [itex]y=\frac{x-1}{x+1}[/itex] and so [itex]-4<\frac{x-1}{x+1}<4[/itex] and from there find the range of values [itex]x[/itex] can take for the original sum in your opening post to converge.

16. Nov 6, 2011 #15
    Great. But why have you put the values for r = 4 ?? I thought we agreed that the r=1

Therefore we would have -1<y<1 ?

Thanks for everything

17. Nov 6, 2011 #16
    Ah sorry I was very tired and mistyped, it should indeed have been -1<y<1.

18. Nov 6, 2011 #17
    great no worries.

Right so ive got it as x>0 and x>-1

hows that?

19. Nov 6, 2011 #18
    Almost right.

20. Nov 6, 2011 #19
    Would it just be x>0.. since x≠-1..

So x ε ℝ+ (ie.. positive real numbers)

21. Nov 6, 2011 #20
    That's exactly right :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook