Find all solutions of inverse sine (-1/2)

In summary, this person is trying to solve a problem involving inverse sine and angles, but is having difficulty understanding the steps involved. They have found two solutions, but still do not know how to calculate the third. They are stuck trying to use a formula that does not seem to work as well as they would like.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find all solutions of inverse sine (-1/2). Angles lie between 0 and 2∏.

The attempt at a solution
I know it sounds very simple, but i must be having some of the basics wrong, as i can't figure out the second solution.

I used the calculator (in radian mode) to find inverse of sin (-1/2) which gives -∏/6
Since the value of inverse sin (-1/2) must be between 0 and 2∏, i went with the automatic reflex of adding 2∏ to that answer which gives 11∏/6 but then i checked the answer and there is a second solution! And i have no idea how to get that second solution. I need to know a simple, yet consistent method that i can use across all problems of that type, if that's possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep adding or subtracting 2pi.

I like Serena said:
Keep adding or subtracting 2pi.

This doesn't make any sense. The boundaries are 0 and 2∏. If i keep adding or subtracting 2∏, the value will go overboard.

Example: 11∏/6 + 2∏ = more than 2∏ or -∏/6 - 2∏ = less than zero.

My bad.
Within 0 and 2pi there is one other solution.
You should use the trig identity sin(pi - x)=sin(x)

Your teacher certainly has shown the definition of sine and cosine in the unit circle. Remember: four quadrants, sine and cosine ++ in the first, +- in the second, -- in the third and -+ in the fourth. You have found the solution in the fourth quadrant, still having an other one in the third.

ehild

I've been scribbling and got stuck, as i keep evaluating:

sin (pi - (-1/2)) = sin (-1/2), which are both equivalent, obviously.

I have no idea how to use that formula.

@ehild I know about using CAST on the quadrant. But I'm still stuck as i don't know how to use it to solve for this particular problem, since i only know about adding or subtracting 2pi to get the values but i got only one of the answers using that method. The restriction is that the answers must lie between 0 and 2pi.

Last edited:
sharks said:
I've been scribbling and got stuck, as i keep evaluating:

sin (pi - (-1/2)) = sin (-1/2), which are both equivalent, obviously.

I have no idea how to use that formula.

You're mixing up the sine with the inverse-sine (aka arcsin).

Try this:

sin( pi - (-pi/6) ) = sin( -pi/6 )

I like Serena said:
sin( pi - (-pi/6) ) = sin( -pi/6 )

OK, i got the second answer using that formula. 7∏/6
But is that the only way to do it? I would prefer using the quadrant. I plotted the line in the quadrant based on sin (-1/2), so the opposite is -1 and the hypotenuse is 2. The angle is situated in the 4th quadrant. I drew a circle anti-clockwise showing the 2∏ addition that i already used to get the first answer. However, to derive the second answer (7∏/6) from the quadrant still eludes me.

Also, if i had not checked the answers, how would i have known that there are 2 answers? Is there a quick method to know the number of solutions between defined boundaries?

Last edited:
Perhaps you should take a look at the "Unit Circle".
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle

In this case you are looking for points on the unit circle where the y-coordinate is (-1/2).
There are 2 of them.

OK, other than the first point in the fourth quadrant, i see another point in the second quadrant. But the argument of the second point gives me: pi+ (-pi/6) = 5pi/6 which is not the same answer as that which i obtained using the formula above.

sharks said:
OK, other than the first point in the fourth quadrant, i see another point in the second quadrant. But the argument of the second point gives me: pi+ (-pi/6) = 5pi/6 which is not the same answer as that which i obtained using the formula above.

For starters 5pi/6 is in the 2nd quadrant.
But then, you used pi + x, instead of pi - x.

And also you have apparently looked at a point with the same x-coordinate, instead of a point with the same y-coordinate.
That would give you an angle with the same cosine, instead of the same sine.

I have not seen a unit circle in this thread yet...
Unit circle means radius 1. Take a point along the circle and connect it with the centre. The length of that radius is 1 and its projection on the x-axis is x=cosα and the projection on the y-axis is sinα. The radius together with the lines parallel to both axes make a triangle (painted yellow) with hypotenuse equal to 1 and sides of length |sinα| and |cosα|. You see that the angle of this yellow triangle (60° in your case) subtracts from 180° in the second quadrant, adds to 180° in the third one and subtracts from 360° in the fourth quadrant to make the angle in question (in light blue).
To solve a problem when the sin of an angle is given, draw a horizontal line y=sin(α). It intersects the unit circle in two points, giving two angles (the light blue and the pink ones in the figure).

Looking at the figures you can notice that

sin(180°-α)=sin(α)
sin(180°+α)=-sin(α)

and

cos(180°-α)=-cos(α)
cos(180°+α)=-cos(α)

Keep the in mind.

ehild

Attachments

• quadrants.JPG
    quadrants.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
I finally understand where i made the mistake in this problem. Thank you for your help and patience, ehild and "I Like Serena".

ehild said:
To solve a problem when the sin of an angle is given, draw a horizontal line y=sin(α). It intersects the unit circle in two points, giving two angles.
Can i use this method as a general way to find all the solutions for a given sine, cosine or tan of any given angle? That is, i will first find arcsin, arccos or arctan, and then plot the line and where it intersects the unit circle, i will make a horizontal line that cuts the unit circle at another point, and then i can deduce the other solutions. Correct?

sharks said:
I finally understand where i made the mistake in this problem. Thank you for your help and patience, ehild and "I Like Serena".

Can i use this method as a general way to find all the solutions for a given sine, cosine or tan of any given angle? That is, i will first find arcsin, arccos or arctan, and then plot the line and where it intersects the unit circle, i will make a horizontal line that cuts the unit circle at another point, and then i can deduce the other solutions. Correct?

Correct! :smile:

Thanks again. :smile:

What is the inverse sine of (-1/2)?

The inverse sine of (-1/2) is -π/6 or -30 degrees.

How do you find the solutions of inverse sine (-1/2)?

You can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table to find the solutions of inverse sine (-1/2).

Are there multiple solutions for inverse sine (-1/2)?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions for inverse sine (-1/2) as it is a periodic function with a period of 2π.

Can you explain the concept of inverse sine?

Inverse sine, also known as arcsine, is the inverse function of sine. It gives the angle whose sine is equal to a given value. In other words, it "undoes" the sine function.

What is the domain and range of inverse sine?

The domain of inverse sine is [-1, 1] and the range is [-π/2, π/2]. This means that the input (sine value) must be between -1 and 1, and the output (angle) will be between -π/2 and π/2.