Find all the metrics for a set of two points

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Points Set
In summary: You are correct, I think that's what it should be. Thanks for pointing that out to me.In summary, the author is trying to find all the metrics on a set consisting of two points. However, they have trouble understanding what the metric should accomplish. The metric must accomplish the triangle inequality, and there are infinitely many possible metrics.
Telemachus
Hi there. I'm working with some notions on functional analysis. I have this exercise, which says: Find all the metrics on a set X consisting of two points.

So I have this set
[tex]X=(x,y)[/tex]
(I don't know if this is the right way on defining a set, so I'm just trying).

The metric's d which I must find, should accomplish:
M1) d is real valued, finite and nonnegative.
M2)d(x,y)=0 if and only if x=y.
M3)d(x,y)=d(y,x)
M4)[tex]d(x,y)\leq d(x,z)+d(z,y)[/tex]

So here is the deal, as I have only two points, (x,y) on my set, I think that M4) could never be accomplished, so there are no possible metrics for this set.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No it is not correct. The triangle inequality says something that must hold for all x,y,z.

Firstly, it does not claim that there must exists three different points x,y and z. Even the empty set can be a metric space!

Secondly, we can have x=y or x=y=z. This is allowed.

Alright. Thank you. So, how can I state that there are a finite set of possible metrics? how should I proceed? should I define an arbitrary metric such as d(x,y) and work with it to get the conditions it must accomplish?

Thanks for your answer.

Telemachus said:
Alright. Thank you. So, how can I state that there are a finite set of possible metrics?

There are infinitely many possible metrics.

What are the possible functions [itex]X\times X\rightarrow X[/itex].

d(x,y)=|x-y| would be one I think, right? but it asks me for all the possible metrics.

I see that what I said is just wrong. Give me a second. I didn't realize the implications of the definition you gave, and I didn't have it in mind before.

So I must find d(x,y) such that d(x,y)=x or d(x,y)=y, right?

Telemachus said:
d(x,y)=|x-y| would be one I think, right? but it asks me for all the possible metrics.

No, | | is only defined on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. You aren't working in this space here.

In order to specify a metric uniquely, you need to specify 4 things:

d(x,x)=...
d(x,y)=...
d(y,x)=...
d(y,y)=...

But some of these things are known.

Alright, thanks, I'm getting some insight on your guide.

So...
d(x,x)=0
d(x,y)=x, &/or d(x,y)=y
d(y,x)=d(x,y) so, the condition before must be d(x,y)=x=y?
d(y,y)=0...

Telemachus said:
d(x,y)=x, &/or d(x,y)=y

This makes no sense at all. d(x,y) is a number, x is a point in your space. How can possible d(x,y)=x?

Sorry for that. I'm just starting with this topic. You're right. A point would be like a collection of numbers, I know that functions and successions can be defined as points in a set too to define a space. The thing is, as you defined it, the distance function must be included in the set. So it should belong to one of the numbers for those points? I'm sorry, I don't get it. I mean, okey, the distance must be a positive real number, and that's all.

I see now that functions and successions seems to include the entire reals. So there will be no problem with that.

Lets start again.
d(x,x)=0
d(x,y)=d(y,x)=...
d(y,y)=0

Indeed, so for every choice of d(x,y), you got a metric right??

What can d(x,y) be??

I think it can be any real valued and bounded function between those points, but I think my answer doesn't make much sense. It must accomplish the triangle inequality too, is that trivial? I know this must be quiet easy, and I'm starting to desperate you, sorry for that.

Ok, I'm stupid, it can't be any real valued function, I tried one before and it was wrong. Damn.

It's not clear to me that you understand that x and y are specific points in X. For example, if X={1,2}, the four lines you wrote in post 10 would be

d(1,1) = 0
d(1,2) = d(2,1) = …
d(2,2) = 0

d(1,2) is a single real number. What are the allowed values for that number?

I'm tempted to say "1", but I think that it depends on the metric. If I say one I'd be using the euclidean metric I think.

micromass said:
There are infinitely many possible metrics.

What are the possible functions [itex]X\times X\rightarrow X[/itex].

I think that definition is wrong, I think it would be:

[itex]X\times X\rightarrow ℝ[/itex]
Isn't it? I mean, the positive not infinite reals.

Don't be misled by the specific example. My choice of X={1,2} was completely arbitrary. X just has to have two elements, and the elements aren't necessarily numbers.

Look at the conditions required for d to be a metric.

Telemachus said:
I think that definition is wrong, I think it would be:

[itex]X\times X\rightarrow ℝ[/itex]
Isn't it? I mean, the positive not infinite reals.

Yes, that is indeed correct. I made a mistake :blushing:

Alright, it just must be a real number, right? any metric satisfying

d(x,x)=0, d(x,y)=d(y,x)=k (being k certain positive real constant), and d(y,y)=0, that would suffice to get a metric, right?

Telemachus said:
Alright, it just must be a real number, right? any metric satisfying

d(x,x)=0, d(x,y)=d(y,x)=k (being k certain positive real constant), and d(y,y)=0, that would suffice to get a metric, right?

Of course it would.

Last edited:
Thank you all guys :)

1. What is the purpose of finding all the metrics for a set of two points?

The purpose of finding all the metrics for a set of two points is to measure and quantify the relationship between those two points. This can help in understanding the data and making more informed decisions.

2. What are the different types of metrics that can be calculated for a set of two points?

There are various metrics that can be calculated for a set of two points, such as distance, slope, angle, and correlation coefficient. Each of these metrics provides different information about the relationship between the two points.

3. How do you calculate the distance between two points?

To calculate the distance between two points, you can use the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the x and y coordinates of the two points. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem for calculating the distance.

4. How can the slope of a line passing through two points be determined?

The slope of a line passing through two points can be determined by dividing the difference in the y-coordinates of the two points by the difference in the x-coordinates. This slope value indicates the steepness of the line and whether it is increasing or decreasing.

5. What does the correlation coefficient tell us about the relationship between two points?

The correlation coefficient is a measure of the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two points. It ranges from -1 to 1, with a higher absolute value indicating a stronger correlation. A positive value indicates a positive relationship, while a negative value indicates a negative relationship.