Find all three components of vector W

In summary, the problem involves finding the components of a vector in the y-z plane at an angle of 120 degrees with respect to the y-axis. Using the equations Wy=Wsin(theta) and R^(2)=Rx^(2)+Ry^(2)+Rz^(2), we can determine that the z component of the vector is approximately 4.04 units. However, the labels x, y, and z are arbitrary and the important thing is to understand the concept of angles and trigonometric functions in relation to a unit circle.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

W is 8 units in the y-z plane in a direction defined by theta = 120 degrees with respect to the y-axis and have a positive z component.

Homework Equations

Wy=Wsin(theta)
R^(2)=Rx^(2)+Ry^(2)+Rz^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Wy=Wsin(theta)
Wy=8sin(120) =6.9

8^(2)=Sqrt(0^(2)+(6.9)^(2)+(Rz)^(2))

Rz=4.04 units. is this par right? I am not sure how to approach this one. I only how how to deal with x and y-axis but not z. Can sombody point me in the right direction? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x, y and z are just labels. What is important is that you have two axes and a vector in their plane, at an angle with respect to one axis.

voko said:
x, y and z are just labels. What is important is that you have two axes and a vector in their plane, at an angle with respect to one axis.

Would I use y or z with the cosin(theta)? How do I know to what goes with sin and cosin?

What is the angle with respect to? What do cosine and sine mean? Draw a unit circle, and label the axes with y and z so that things make sense.

voko said:
What is the angle with respect to? What do cosine and sine mean? Draw a unit circle, and label the axes with y and z so that things make sense.

Thanks!

1. What is vector W?

Vector W is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction in space. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. What are the three components of vector W?

The three components of vector W are the x, y, and z components. These represent the magnitude of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. How do I find the magnitude of vector W?

The magnitude of vector W can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the three components. In other words, the magnitude of vector W can be calculated as √(x² + y² + z²).

4. How do I find the direction of vector W?

The direction of vector W can be found by using trigonometric functions, specifically the inverse tangent function. The direction can be calculated as arctan(y/x) for the angle in the x-y plane, and arctan(z/√(x²+y²)) for the angle in the x-z plane.

5. Can vector W have negative components?

Yes, vector W can have negative components. Negative components indicate that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive axis. For example, a vector with a negative x component would be pointing in the negative x direction.