Find amplitude with SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)

In summary, the conversation was about a three-part question regarding a weight suspended from a spring and its movement. The first two questions were successfully answered, with the frequency being 2 Hz and the period being 0.5 s. The third question was about the definition and calculation of amplitude, which was found to be half of the total distance covered by the weight while bobbing up and down. The conversation also involved referencing Wikipedia for information and thanking for the help provided.
kamiquazi

Homework Statement

It is a three part question in which I have successfully answered the first two of the questions.
Part. 1
A weight suspended from a spring is seen to bob up and down over a distance of 10 cm twice each second.
What is the frequency? 2 Hz is the correct answer.
Answer in the units of Hz.

Part. 2
What is the period?
Answe in the units of s. 0.5 s is the correct answer.

Part. 3
What is the amplitude?
Answer in the units of cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of amplitude?

kuruman said:
What is the definition of amplitude?

Quoted from Wikipedia, "Amplitude is the magnitude of change in the oscillating variable, with each oscillation, within an oscillating system. "

Outside of that I do not have a single clue as the instructor has not mentioned amplitude.

kamiquazi said:
A weight suspended from a spring is seen to bob up and down over a distance of 10 cm twice each second.
I suggest that you go back to wikipedia and read about peak-to-peak amplitude. Is the 10 cm you are given the amplitude or the peak-to-peak amplitude?

If the total distance covered by the weight while bobbing up and down is 10cm then magnitude of the amplitude is half the total distance that is 5cm.

You got it.

kuruman said:
I suggest that you go back to wikipedia and read about peak-to-peak amplitude. Is the 10 cm you are given the amplitude or the peak-to-peak amplitude?

After rereading what I quoted from Wikipedia and reread the article I did complete the final problem. I want to thank you for your help!

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central equilibrium position, with a constant amplitude and frequency. This motion is governed by Hooke's Law, which states that the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

How do you find the amplitude of a SHM system?

The amplitude of a SHM system can be found by measuring the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This can be done by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the highest point of the object's oscillation. The amplitude remains constant throughout the motion, as long as there is no external force acting on the system.

What factors affect the amplitude of a SHM system?

The amplitude of a SHM system is affected by two main factors: the initial displacement of the object from its equilibrium position and the energy of the system. A larger initial displacement will result in a larger amplitude, while a higher energy level will result in a smaller amplitude.

How does the amplitude affect the period of a SHM system?

The amplitude has no effect on the period of a SHM system. The period of a SHM system is solely determined by the mass of the object, the force constant, and the initial displacement. These factors remain constant for a given system, regardless of the amplitude.

What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some common examples of SHM in everyday life include a swinging pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, a vibrating guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a mass-spring system. SHM can also be observed in the motion of a swing, a bouncing basketball, and the motion of a car's suspension system.