Find an equation for position vs time given potential vs position?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for position vs time using the given potential energy equation and graph. The suggested approach involves taking the derivative of the equation and using Newton's second law to integrate twice to find the position equation. However, the speaker is unsure of how to incorporate the sin function as shown in the book and asks if conservation of energy could be used instead.
razgriz129

Homework Statement

If I was given the potential energy equation
[tex]U(x)=4x^2[/tex]
How would I find the equation for position vs time? I know the graph for position vs time for this equation is a sin curve because the book tells me so.

[itex]v = 0 [/itex] and [itex]x = 0 [/itex] when [itex]t = 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} U(x) = -F(x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the derivative of the potential energy equation would yield an equation of force. [tex]-F = 8x [/tex]

Using Newton's second law, we get: [tex]ma = -8x [/tex]

Replace acceleration with velocity and we get: [tex] m \frac{dv}{dt} = -8x [/tex]

I know I would integrate here twice somehow to find position in terms of time, but I'm not entirely sure how. In addition, I don't see how this position equation would have a sin function, as the book shows it should. I was hoping to find a way to solve this or learn a different approach here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you use conservation of energy here?

1. What is the relationship between potential and position?

The potential vs position graph represents the change in potential energy as an object moves along a specific path. The potential energy is directly proportional to the position, meaning that as the position increases, so does the potential energy.

2. How is position vs time related to potential vs position?

The position vs time graph shows the change in an object's position over a period of time. It is related to the potential vs position graph because the potential energy determines the position of the object, and therefore, also affects the position vs time graph.

3. How can I find an equation for position vs time given potential vs position?

To find an equation for position vs time, you can use the equation for potential energy, which is PE = mgh (mass x gravity x height). By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the height, which is the position. This will give you an equation for position vs time.

4. Can potential vs position be used to predict position vs time?

Yes, potential vs position can be used to predict position vs time. By analyzing the potential vs position graph, you can determine the potential energy of an object at different positions. This information can then be used to predict the position of the object over time.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the position vs time graph besides potential vs position?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the position vs time graph. These may include external forces such as friction or air resistance, as well as the initial velocity and acceleration of the object. However, the potential vs position graph is one of the key factors that can influence the position vs time graph.