• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find and verify parametric equations for an ellipse

• Thread starter the.flea
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Find and verify parametric equations for an ellipse.

2. Homework Equations
x=acost
y=bsint

3. The Attempt at a Solution

lets say the equation is x=3cost, y=3sint, domain: 0 to 2pi

x2 y2
-- + -- = 1
a2 b2

point does verify when t=0 x=3, y=0 which =1
any help?

Answers and Replies

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
Are you asking about the conversion of the equation for the ellipse from rectangular (Cartesian) to polar coordinates? You already have the first step: your parameterization is actually using polar coordinates, where the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is expressed as a function of time t (in the simplest possible way, [tex]\theta = t[/tex] ).

If you substitute your expressions for x and y into the rectangular form of the equation, some work with trig identities will get you to a polar form.

I'm sorry I do not understand. Please simplify the sentence.
There is a question asking to find and verify parametric equations for an ellipse. How would we start and finish such a complex question? Thank you in advance.

I think I understand most of what you are saying, however I am not trying to go from rectangular to polar, I just want to verify this in rectangular form.

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
I think I understand most of what you are saying, however I am not trying to go from rectangular to polar, I just want to verify this in rectangular form.
I took back my last posting because I wasn't sure what you were asking for. If the problem is just asking for verification of the parametrization, you can just substitute the expressions for x and y into the equation for the ellipse. What do you get? If the statement you arrive at is always true, you have verified the parametrization you were given.

What I was wondering is whether they wanted you to use the polar equation

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

and simplify the result into a function r = r(t). But maybe that's more than they're looking for.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
… just plug'n'play …

x=acost
y=bsint

x2 y2
-- + -- = 1
a2 b2
Hi, tiny flea! :smile:

If you're supposed to prove that x=acost, y=bsint satisfies x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1, why don't you just plug those parametric values for x and y into the equation, and confirm that it is correct?

What is worrying you about that? :smile: