1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find angular velocity given velocity of attached block

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The block at C is moving downward at vc = 4.8 ft/s. Determine the angular velocity of bar AB at the instant shown.

Hibbler.ch16.p58_new.jpg

2. Relevant equations

x = cross product
    r = distance to point from frame of reference
    Boldface will indicate vectors
    v = ω x r
    vB = vA + ω x rB/A = vA + vB/A

3. The attempt at a solution

vB = ωAB x rB/A = -2*ω[itex]\vec{j}[/itex]
    vC = vB + ω x rC/B
    -4.8[itex]\vec{j}[/itex] = -2*ω[itex]\vec{j}[/itex]+(-ω[itex]\vec{k}[/itex] x (3cos(30)[itex]\vec{i}[/itex]+3sin(30)[itex]\vec{j}[/itex]))

Taking the cross product and setting the y-components equal to each other, I get ωAB=1.04 rad/s. The correct answer is ωAB = 2.40 rad/s. From working backwards, I believe the correct answer can be obtained by setting vB equal to vC:

-4.8[itex]\vec{j}[/itex] = -2*ω[itex]\vec{j}[/itex]

If this is correct, my question is why can they be set equal to each other while disregarding ωBC and rC/B?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2
    In your attempt at a solution you assumed that ωAB = ωBC which is not the case.

The length of rBC is constant and at the instant in time there is no component of v in the i direction. Therefore, ωBC = 0 and vB = vC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted