1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find appropriate parametrization to find area bounded by a curve

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    Problem:

Use an appropraite parametrization [tex]x=f(r,\theta), y=g(r,\theta)[/tex] and the corresponding Jacobian such that [tex] dx \ dy \ =|J| dr \ d\theta[/tex] to find the area bounded by the curve [tex]x^{2/5}+y^{2/5}=a^{2/5}[/tex]

Attempt at a Solution:

I'm not really sure how to find the parametrization. Once I have that, calculating the Jacobian is simple. Then all that's left is computing a double integral. Right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hint: Your parametrization hints at polar co-ordinates.

##x = rcos\theta, y = rsin\theta##

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    But if I use ##x=rcos\theta## and ##y=rsin\theta##, then I have ##dx=rd\theta## and ##dy=rd\theta##. Also ##|J|=r##. However we want ##dx \ dy=|J|dr \ d\theta##.

Using ##x=rcos\theta## and ##y=rsin\theta##, then the curve is given by [tex](rcos\theta)^{\frac{2}{5}}+(rsin\theta)^{\frac{2}{5}}=a^{\frac{2}{5}}[/tex]

So to find the area bounded by this curve we want to perform a double integral. I'm just confused on setting it up. Now that we're in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##, how do we figure out the limits of integration for the given curve?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted