Find arc length given chord, radius

In summary, the solution to finding the approximate length of an arc of a circle with a 3-foot radius and a 3-foot chord is to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the apothem, then use trigonometry to find the central angle. The final answer is pi, or 180 degrees, which is equal to the central angle.
Ragnarok7
The solution to this question (whose answer is pi) is eluding me:

The radius of a circle is 3 feet. Find the approximate length of an arc of this circle, if the length of the chord of the arc is 3 feet also.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:

The radius of a circle is 3 feet. Find the approximate length of an arc of this circle, if the length of the chord of the arc is 3 feet also.

Hi Ragnarok! :)

Did you make a drawing?
If you draw it, that should help to find the answer...

Ragnarok said:

For starters, what kind of triangle made by the chord and two radii? What does that tell you about its angles?

Thank you! I understand now. I was unsure how much information we were allowed to assume as I can't remember if the book proved triangles have angle sum of 180 degrees yet.

Ragnarok said:
Thank you! I understand now. I was unsure how much information we were allowed to assume as I can't remember if the book proved triangles have angle sum of 180 degrees yet.

Just because a book hasn't shown something doesn't make it any less true or provide any reason why you can't use it.

True, but I usually try to stay within the internal consistency of the book because if I bring in things from outside it probably means I'm missing out on the intended pedagogical point of the exercise, and possibly missing a simpler, more clever solution.

But I am pretty sure this book presupposes a knowledge of Euclid, so I think the sum of a triangle's angles is fine to assume.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2013
We know radius AO (3) and chord AB.
AE = 1/2 AB
From Pythagorean Theorem OE² = AO² - AE²
OE² = 3² - 1.5²
OE² = 9 - 2.25
OE = 2.5980762114
Segment Height ED = Radius AO - Apothem OE
Segment Height ED = 3 - 2.5980762114
Segment Height ED = 0.4019237886
Angle AOE = arc tangent (AE/OE)
Angle AOE = arc tan (1.5/2.5980762114)
Angle AOE = 29.9999999996 or 30° rounded

There are 2PI radians in a circle and 30° is 1/12 of a circle.
So, 30° = 2PI/12 radians or PI/6 radians.
The answer you said was supposed to be PI. Well I get PI/6.
EDITED TO ADD:
Angle AOE is only half the central angle, so it should be 60° or PI/3 radians.

Last edited:
Let \(\displaystyle \frac{\theta}{2}=\angle AOE\) then \(\displaystyle \theta=\angle AOB\) and the arc length is:

\(\displaystyle s=r\theta=3\left(2\cdot\frac{\pi}{6} \right)=\pi\)

What is the formula for finding arc length given a chord and radius?

The formula for finding arc length given a chord and radius is L = 2r sin(c/2), where L is the arc length, r is the radius, and c is the central angle in radians.

How do you find the central angle given the length of a chord and radius?

To find the central angle, you can use the formula c = 2sin-1(l/2r), where c is the central angle, l is the length of the chord, and r is the radius.

What is the difference between arc length and chord length?

Arc length is the distance along the curved line of the arc, while chord length is the straight line distance between two points on the arc. Arc length is longer than chord length.

Can the arc length be longer than the circumference of the circle?

No, the arc length can never be longer than the circumference of the circle. The arc length is a portion of the circumference and will always be smaller.

How do you find the arc length if the central angle is in degrees instead of radians?

If the central angle is in degrees, you can convert it to radians by multiplying it by π/180. Then, you can use the formula L = 2r sin(c/2) to find the arc length.