Find arc length starting from P_0

So your arc length function will be in terms of $b$.In summary, to find the arc length function for the curve $y=2x^{3/2}$ with starting point $P_0(1,2)$, we first find the derivative $y'=3\sqrt{x}$ and then integrate $\sqrt{9x+1}$ from 1 to $b$, where $b$ is the $x$ value of the endpoint.
ineedhelpnow
find the arc length function for the curve $y=2x^{3/2}$ with starting point $P_{0}(1,2)$. how do i do this? this is what I've done so far.

$y'=3\sqrt{x}$

$1+(3\sqrt{x})^2=9x+1$

$\int_{a}^{b} \ \sqrt{9x+1},dx$

what's my a and what's my b?

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
find the arc length function for the curve $y=2x^{3/2}$ with starting point $P_{0}(1,2)$. how do i do this? this is what I've done so far.

$y'=3\sqrt{x}$

$1+(3\sqrt{x})^2=9x+1$

$\int_{a}^{b} \ \sqrt{9x+1}\,dx$

what's my a and what's my b?

Hi ineedhelpnow!

Please start new questions in new threads rather than tagging them onto existing threads. As you can see I have moved your question to a new thread.The beginning of the curve is specified as the point $P_0$. Which $x$ corresponds to it? That is your $a$.

The end point is not specified, so we can leave it as $b$, meaning we get an arc length that is a function of $b$.

ooookay! thanks! so i do it from 1 to x?

ineedhelpnow said:
ooookay! thanks! so i do it from 1 to x?

Yep.

1. What is the definition of arc length starting from P0?

Arc length starting from P0 is the distance along the circumference of a circle from the point P0 to another point on the circle.

2. How do you calculate the arc length starting from P0?

The formula for calculating arc length starting from P0 is L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the angle in radians between the two points on the circle.

3. Can the arc length starting from P0 be greater than the circumference of the circle?

No, the arc length starting from P0 cannot be greater than the circumference of the circle. The maximum arc length is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is found by multiplying the diameter by π.

4. How does the location of P0 affect the arc length?

The location of P0 does not affect the arc length. The arc length starting from P0 is determined by the angle and radius, not the position of the point on the circle.

5. Can the arc length starting from P0 be negative?

No, the arc length starting from P0 cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents a distance along the circumference of a circle.