1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find charge field within coaxial cables

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two very long coaxial cylinders. Inner has radius a and is solid with charge per unit length of λ. Volume is also uniform but not defined by a parameter. Outer is hollow with inner radius b and outer radius c. Outer cylinder is a conductor with charge per unit length of -2λ. Find E(r) for all r in terms of given parameters. you can also view attached picture.

2. Relevant equations
    ∫E.dA=qenclosed0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm hung up right away on what to do with the inner radius from 0->a Ive got the left side of the equation I think, but I don't know how to get qenclosed in terms of r, if it needs to be. I expect to integrate on that part. Anywho here's where I'm at.

E2∏rh=(1/ε0)∫dq

I've got λ=dq/dh where h represents the length of the cable being considered. All the examples seem to use charge density rather than charge per unit length, using this gives me:

E2∏rh=(1/ε0)∫λdh which is not in terms of r. I suppose I could still integrate it and cancel h on both sides, let me know if that's wrong.

E2∏rh=(λh/ε0)→E2∏r=(λ/ε0)

E(r)=λ/(2∏r*ε0)

Is this wrong for any reason? It doesn't feel right to not use the radius on the right side.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2
    Let's consider the cable's length finite, L. The total charge of the inner cylinder would be Q = λL. Applying Gauss' theorem ∫E*dA = λL/ε°, since E is uniform and perpendicular to dA: E∫dA = λL/ε° <=> E(2πrL) = λL/ε° <=> E = λ/2πε°r.
    The units on both sides are also ok, so your formula is right.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted