Find Closest Approach Time in Equation of Path

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Path
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Reshma
Messages
749
Reaction score
6
The equation of a path is of the form: [itex]\vec r = \vec r_0 + \vec A t[/itex]
If 't' represents time, show that the time of closest approach is:
[tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]

I am not really sure on how to proceed about this, but I made a crude approach by assuming [itex]\vec r[/itex] and [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] to be perpendicular. I took the dot product with r0 on both sides of given equation.
[tex]-\vec r_0^2 = \vec A \cdot \vec r_0 t[/tex]

I don't think this a right way to solve, please give some suggestions.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sorry, I forget to add that. Find the distance of closest approach to the origin i. e. the distance from the origin to the line.
 
It's not [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] that's perpendicular to [itex]\vec r[/itex], it's [itex]\vec A[/itex].
At the point of closest approach, the vector in the direction of the line, that is, [itex]\vec A[/itex], is perpendicular to the position vector, [itex]\vec r_0+ \vec At[/itex] itself. That is [itex]\vec A \cdot (\vec r_0+ \vec At= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec r_0+ \vec A \cdot \vec A t= 0[/itex]. Can you solve that for t?
 
Wow, thanks! That makes sense. :smile:
[tex]-\vec A \cdot \vec r_0 = |\vec A|^2t[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]